Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Saw a video on it:

The only way Id do this is if I had a 2nd Wii that was modded because Ill be damned if im letting it get bricked.

Will The Evil Nintendo Lawyers take down the Riishop?

I still wouldnt trust it on a main console, Id only get a 2nd one that I know I probably wouldnt go online with.

It’s not like you’ll get banned. You can back up the nand before you jailbreak it.

If you forget to turn off the auto online updates, you definitely run the risk of it getting bricked. Its why i've never tried to do it or have someone do it to one of my main consoles.

If you forget to turn off the auto online updates, you definitely run the risk of it getting bricked. It’s why i've never tried to do it or have someone do it to one of my main consoles.
Sounds like you’re a very scared individual if you need someone else to click the A button for you for a system update.

Sounds like you’re a very scared individual if you need someone else to click the A button for you for a system update.

You are aware that system updates can happen when a console is off, right? Plus Im not home for a good part of the day so the update can happen randomly, lol.

You are aware that system updates can happen when a console is off, right? Plus Im not home for a good part of the day so the update can happen randomly, lol.
It doesn’t automatically install, it just automatically downloads them. You still have to accept the install. Also if you go from say 4.1.2 to 4.1.3, your chance of bricking isn’t going to happen.

The main cause of consoles bricking during an update is cutting off power in the middle of the update. Do you have all your consoles plugged into an UPS? If you’re that worried about your consoles bricking from an update to where you have to get a friend to do it for you, might as well go the extra mile and get an UPS. You’ll have additional power if the electricity goes off. That way you won’t look like you’re being worried over essentially nothing. I always find it silly when people act overly cautious over things, but half-ass it to where what they’re doing is essentially pointless.

There’s also various forms of bricking on a Wii (ranging from low to high), with most of them being easily reversed, and the high is mostly from people installing homebrew that messes with the boot loader. The rest of the bricking from modding comes from powering off in the middle of an install, or getting the mods from some sketchy site.

This is very interesting, unfortunately, I only have one Wii that is in storage and I would not feel confident doing this on the only Wii I have. Maybe if I were to get a second hand one that I wouldn't mind getting bricked I would try this :)
Tbh, most of the process of installing this stuff is really painless, and installing custom firmware is mostly automated.

Outside of changing your DNS settings on the Wii (which really just involves you putting in an IP address), you just press a button on the software on your computer and go make coffee. Outside of pressing A a couple times, that’s basically it.

The rest of homebrew apps just require you to put stuff on an SD card and hitting the A button.

To brick the Wii involves you actually putting effort into mucking around in the OS where you shouldn’t be.

I feel like anyone buying a second Wii to do this will think “oh I wasted my money”, after they realize the lack of effort it takes.

Last edited:
Back