Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Ever since videogame website MCV published a rumor story about the PlayStation 4 premiering at E3 2012, rumors and speculation to the contrary have been coming out, including that from industry analyst Michael Pachter, which stated that he thinks "there's zero chance of a tease from Sony for PlayStation 4" at E3.

And now, word has come out from Sony itself that PlayStation 4 won't be shown at E3.

Speaking at a "roundtable with reporters" at CES (as reported by The Wall Street Journal), Sony's Kaz Hirai answered a question about the PlayStation 4 showing up at this year's E3. "Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3. I've always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

That essentially puts MCV's report to rest, though there's plenty of time for things to change between now and E3 2012.

source

That would be long passed where they want to throw in the next console. I am honestly getting tired of using 5-6 years old technology!

I would and wouldn't at the same time. I'm starting to like my graphics more. I want better CPU and GPU.

I was around for the SNES.
I must honestly say I don't know anyone with a PS3 and I don't really care what games look like but it isn't smart letting Ninny and maybe MS get a head start.

I think the PS3 could last a lot longer considering uncharted 3 just came out and look how great that was. Clearly there is enough potential in there to compete with next gen.

Technically speaking there is only so good graphics can really get. And we're at that point now that without a significant increase in graphical processing power and massive increase in polygon count games just aren't going to look that much better. But if they increased the polygon count then it would take that much longer to develop games. So I don't think a graphical increase be worth it at all.

So for the PS4, I'd like to see an increase in the amount of RAM for the graphics card and system... Up it to like 4 Gigabytes of XDR2 or DDR4 (or whatever the sequels are) this would allow for more speed rather than more power. This way the system could put more on the screen without slowing down. I mean the Cell CPU has an absolute ton of processing power so that could probably go for another 10 years on it's own.

Personally though graphics aren't really the be all end all. Sure they look nice but who cares if the game outright sucks? The point is having fun... Not looking good.

And I wouldn't worry too much about Nintendo's latest offering on the graphics/processing part for the sole reason that it's 5 years late to the current generation's tech. And even if it is more powerful than the PS3/Xbox360 right now, the 360 and PS3 have a significant lead of development time and experience so games developed for them are just naturally going to look better since the developers will have had the time to know how to pull more from the systems.

I also think that sometimes letting the others go first can be an advantage. Watch what they do and see what mistakes they make then learn from them. The 360 went first last time and it suffered for it. (The Red Rings of Doom remember?) Even if it did take the number 1 spot at first, it was still outsold by Nintendo's offering which released a year later.
So let them go first, use the time to make sure the PS4 is ready and has a strong library of launch games.

I think the PS3 could last a lot longer considering uncharted 3 just came out and look how great that was. Clearly there is enough potential in there to compete with next gen.

Agreed but we haven't seen next-gen so who knows...

Back