Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
There's the 3D type of Mario, shown in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. There's the 2D type of Mario, shown in New Super Mario Bros. on Wii and DS. You may have your preference. Nintendo's investors may have their preference. But it doesn't matter too much because on the 3DS, we're going to be getting both types.

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto revealed this during the Q&A session of an investors briefing last week.

In response to a question about Mario sales trends and what they mean for Mario's appearance on 3DS, Miyamoto first reiterated some thoughts on the difference between 2D and 3D Mario games. The 3D games give players more options and freedom, but some view them as too complex, and so they don't sell as well. Mario Galaxy was one attempt at a solution to this -- making a 3D Mario game that anyone can play.

Said Miyamoto, "When asked 'what will we do on 3DS,' the answer is, of course, we'll make both. They both have their own appeal."

The system's 3D display effects can be used for both types of Mario, Miyamoto explained. For the 3D type, and other games like Zelda as well, the 3D effect can help players get a better grasp of depth while also adding a greater feeling of existence to characters.

The 2D Mario games will also benefit from easier depth perception provided by the 3DS's 3D view. Past Mario games have had Bullet Bills and other enemies coming at the screen from the distance. It's difficult to judge when such dynamic obstacles will hit you, so in past titles they've been used only lightly. However, the 3DS's 3D output will allow designers to make heavier use of such gimmicks.

While Nintendo has announced Paper Mario for 3DS, it has yet to mention a Mario platformer. Perhaps we can actually look forward to two platformers, one 3D and one 2D.

source

I like 2D the best.

Freaking sweet. And I'm more interested in the 3D because I want to see what it is like. I'll still probably like 2D the best though. Grew up on it.

Back