Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Tell the goblins at Gringott's Wizarding Bank that they're about to get a series of big new deposits.

After eight films and $7.7 billion in worldwide box office, Warner Bros. has found a way to cash in on JK Rowling's “Harry Potter” series once again: They won't just make one semi-prequel movie based on a text the author wrote as an accompaniment to her international bestsellers, titled “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” but instead chop it up into three new feature films.

Word of the magical segmentation came in a New York Times profile of new WB chief Kevin Tsujihara, who was responsible for getting Rowling on board with the plan, which will involve her writing the big screen adaptations herself.

“When I say he made ‘Fantastic Beasts happen, it isn't PR-speak but the literal truth,” Rowling told The Times. “We had one dinner, a follow-up telephone call, and then I got out the rough draft that I'd thought was going to be an interesting bit of memorabilia for my kids and started rewriting!”

The trilogy will be set 70 years before the first “Harry Potter” installment began, and involve the New York-set adventures of a “magizoologist” named Newt Scamander.

The new movies are just the latest continuation of Rowling's beloved series; she's also writing new chapters for the official fansite, Pottermore.com, and there will be a “Harry Potter” stage play, as well.
source

Not the best of moves, they are milking a series that isn't focused on what made it popular. I suspect the first one will do well but the other two won't do as well.

Well technically it's not impossible. They could hire the same actors/actresses and just use some fancy costumework to make them seem like an entirely different person. I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I mean, I completely agree that they're milking the series; but, at the same time, I think it will be interesting and could delve more deeply on screen into the universe Rowling has created with her books.

Milking it isn't the word! There''s already what, 8 Potter movies out there already? I can't imagine the people who enjoyed the movies based on the books will watch any kind of prequel. It's turning into a star wars type thing now isn't it? 

Even if there are 8 movies that doesn't change the fact a series can have many movies provided they tell new/interesting stories. (I mean I'm sure they could make a movie or two about the Marauder Era and people would just go crazy over that. And they could do a movie set after Harry grows up to equal fanfare.)

Harry Potter fans can be ravenous and will devour any little scrap of info about this series that they can. So, without a doubt, they will go to see these movies. Even if they are absolute rubbish.

VirusZero said:
Even if there are 8 movies that doesn't change the fact a series can have many movies provided they tell new/interesting stories. (I mean I'm sure they could make a movie or two about the Marauder Era and people would just go crazy over that. And they could do a movie set after Harry grows up to equal fanfare.)

Harry Potter fans can be ravenous and will devour any little scrap of info about this series that they can. So, without a doubt, they will go to see these movies. Even if they are absolute rubbish.
a prequel that holds none of the famous characters won't satisfy the needs of the fans.

Back