Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Right now, a dual layer Blu-ray disc is capable of holding about 50GB of data. And while the next generation of video game consoles will both feature Blu-ray compatibility, it seems Sony isn't satisfied with the current technology's limitations. Sony has teamed up with Panasonic to create a new optical disc capable of storing up to 300GB of information.

Panasonic released a statement on the collaboration, with the tech companies working jointly to create a new disc standard by the end of 2015. The 300GB optical discs are geared toward professional use (obviously), with the new storage capacity offering unique advantages to archivists and video editors, for example. Both Sony and Panasonic have previously released storage options which combine multiple optical discs into one cohesive drive.

So, how could this new technology appeal to gamers? Well, that's not immediately clear. Sony could very well release the new discs under a Blu-ray moniker, or attempt to make the discs compatible with the PlayStation 4. Realistically, the discs would likely prove cost prohibitive and unnecessary for storing game data. But whereas today's triple-A games may only require around 15GB of information, advancements in technology could mean significantly larger file sizes in just a matter of years.
source

Damn, that's a lot of space.

300GB is likely more than enough space for most personal and even commercial applications for right now. (Even when we get 4k resolutions 300GB will still likely be more than enough.)

I don't know how they're going to cope when these land at 360TB a disc... (Especially if they make them rewritable. You might buy one and never need another.)

People who are actively uploading long HD videos to YouTube would find this useful, but they can also backup their videos by uploading their videos for free to Dailymotion, Vimeo, Blip.tv, and tons of other free video hosting sites as long as their videos are not illegal or copyrighted. Plus, they can make more money and views from Dailymotion, Vimeo, Blip.tv, and other video sharing sites which share ad money with video creators.

I barely use over 200GB of space on my 320GB hard drive, and most of the files I can easily download again on Bittorent, forums, and file sharing sites if I remember the name of the anime, or MP3 file.

Back