3ds battery life question.

neb1006

Awards
Credits
Hey all, I just got a 3ds for Christmas, with pokemon y and animal crossing new leaf, but I've noticed my battery life is bad, I charged it through the night, and played maybe 2-3 ish hours of it before I needed to charge again, is this right? Or is that bad?

Thanks in advance.

That is about right, yes. 3DS battery isn't great, but it's not often you'll be actually playing it while out and about so most of the time you'll be near a charger.

While in sleep mode, it can last several days from fully charged.

Hey all, I just got a 3ds for Christmas, with pokemon y and animal crossing new leaf, but I've noticed my battery life is bad, I charged it through the night, and played maybe 2-3 ish hours of it before I needed to charge again, is this right? Or is that bad?

Thanks in advance.

It is funny, a lot of people complain the battery life is too short. I have a regular 3DS (not a XL) and keep the wi-fi on at all times as well as screen at max brightness. I get about 5 hours of time before I have to charge it unless playing a game online with friends.

although it may void your factory warranty, you could also look into buying this - http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/accessories/3ds-power-pak/92702

Last edited by a moderator:
It definatly seems short of life, I too have wifi on all the time, and max screen brightness plus the obvious 3d on, but 2-3 hours just seemed to be extremely short?

It'll be the 3d always being on that's draining your battery then. I would only turn it on while playing or only when important things that are better animated are happening in the games.

I have a NYKO battery on my 3DS and the battery life works very well. like 5-7 hours on mine.

I wish it had better battery, that's for sure. I think mine got around 3 hours when I was playing Link Between Worlds at max brightness, wif-fi on, and max 3D.

It'll be the 3d always being on that's draining your battery then. I would only turn it on while playing or only when important things that are better animated are happening in the games.

My battery lasted for about 4 to 5 hours. I tend to have the 3-D setting slightly above off and about 3 for screen brightness.

I wish it had better battery, that's for sure. I think mine got around 3 hours when I was playing Link Between Worlds at max brightness, wif-fi on, and max 3D.

Tested: got 5 1/2 hours of life out of my 3DS playing with 3D on, wi-fi on, max brightness - the settings I normally keep on. My model is the original Red and Black 3DS.and I haven't turned it off since getting it. Always let it stay in sleep when not using.

average life of the battery is said to be 3 to 5 hours. I'd suggest if that is a problem for any of you that you get the bigger battery I linked in the post above. supposedly, that battery can give you 6-8 hours or more.

Were you playing a game when you tested it? I might test mine this weekend to get a more concrete number on the battery life.

For Best Performance:

Set Brightness to Lowest

Turn Off Wifi (yellow light via the slider on the right)

Leave 3D Off

Mine lasted for twice as long as it used to since I did this; it's very useful. And I barely use the 3D that much anyway, and you get used to the brightness after a while. If the game is using wifi though then that is optional if you want that off.

I have mine on brightness level 4, power saving off, 3D on. I get about 4 hours, mostly in game except for the usual menu navigation. I have the XL version.

I can't imagine playing for longer than this without access to a power supply.

I do find that the battery drain in standby can be quite bad if wifi is on, anyone else get this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine on brightness level 4, power saving off, 3D on. I get about 4 hours, mostly in game except for the usual menu navigation. I have the XL version.

I can't imagine playing for longer than this without access to a power supply.

I do find that the battery drain in standby can be quite bad if wifi is on, anyone else get this?

Lol well i can play mine for eight hours before it dies ;P Idk maybe i got a defective one

To me it seems if you are on the internet on your 3ds it takes up more battery life than regular is this so? Anyways I have no trouble playing for over three hours on the dullest settings, (1) but if it is on (5) it will probably need to be recharged in three hours.

Back