3DS Game Cards are going to be 8GB.

(DL)

SHROOMS
Awards
Credits
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/12/3ds_game_cards_could_reach_a_mighty_8gb#comments

This is huge. Very huge. Do you know what can fit in 8GB? A HUGE GAME, THAT'S WHAT.

By comparison, what's the usual filesize of a game on a game cartridge for the DS? Because I'm not sure how impressive 8GB is otherwise...

4.7 gb regular disc, and 8.5 gb dual layer disc for Wii. Smash Bros Brawl is dual layered.

Yep. Perhaps Nintendo could create a new home console that uses game cards rather than discs in the future. Why? No annoying noise, less loading time, and it wouldn't use as much power.

Whoa, that's a lot of space for one single game. Maybe the bigger space is to help out the 3D effect and reduce lag when using it?

Possibly. Doesn't 3D just run on processor power, though?
Yes. 3D can be achieved by taking a scene, and rotating it, so it is seen from 2 different angles. Nintendo then uses the technologies to send one scene 'a' to eye 1, then scene 'b' to eye 2. So, the scene is being displayed twice, using more GPU.

According to Kotaku, it's rumoured only around 2 of those 8GB are going to be used with games, with 1GB being the minimum for most games. Which seems weird.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/12/nintendo-3ds-cartridges-are-so-beefy-they-might-surprise-you/

As someone said, not all games will be 8 GB. It will be up to 8 GB, but no lower than 1 GB hopefully. Also anyone excited for possible release date and price news on January 19th? Also, does anyone thik we'll get any news worth knowing about in the Japan event in early January? I think it's called Nintendo World 2011 or something.

8GB is just a ton of content, or terrible packaging and programming... Anyway, let's just say the 3DS will have great ability and better quality games. Also, could you imagine what 8GB can do? You could have a ton of storage for games like 'Wario Ware DIY'. You could have a lot more storage. And some games might even go further with internal storage. Imagine the possibilities!

Wowzers. 8GB? I Wonder what they'll do with all that extra space?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wowzers. 8GB? I Wonder what they'll do with all that extra space?

They might not do anything with the extra space. The Game Cards themselves are 8GB, but I bet not even half that space would be used with most games. It offers many possibilities...

According to Kotaku, it's rumoured only around 2 of those 8GB are going to be used with games, with 1GB being the minimum for most games. Which seems weird.

Whatever the reason, that's still at least twice as much as a standard DS game. And perhaps the low limit is simply because the console is newer; as the rush for games decreases, developers could have more time to crank out a huge game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back