3DS vs. PS Vita, Because the last one failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So then the 3DS must not be fully backwards compatible either, lol. You can't play the games that required the GBA slot.

Well, let's try to knock a bit of sense into this argument. We are talking about backward compatibilty at the moment.
In this argument there are two points to be made.

1. online games in e-stores
2. Hardware games such as UMD's and cards for the DS.

Let's start with the 3DS.
Nintendo released a page with full information about backwards compatibilty.
http://www.nintendo....ible_32441.html

As we can clearly see here, the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with older games from older Nintendo DS devices. So yes, from a hardware standpoint, the 3DS is backwards compatible untill you reach the GBA games. When you reach those, you are out of luck. GBA games (and older games wil not run.

The first DS came out on 21 of november 2004 according to this wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nintendo_DS. So from a hardware point of view the 3DS has backwards compatibilty for about 8 years worth of games. Which are all the same DS standard with some improvements for new systems along the line. So is this really backwards compatible? Isn't this just expanding the range of games that can be made. There is no real new standard invented, only new options added. These options can only be accessed in new systems. But apart from that no new inprovments are made. And whe have seen about 8(?, please correct me if I am wrong, I have no information on this matter) different DS systems since the first one. All with a new look and one or two extra features. Please consider this last point to, because here is the big 'problem'.

Seen again from the hardware point of view, the PS vita an entirely new game standard for the Portable Playstation devices.
The original PSP has been released in (again) 2004 as can be seen here. http://en.wikipedia....tation_Portable

And since then has used the UMD standard for games with every 'improved' version of the system.

Now with the ps vita, they switched to little cards. But they left out the UMD station so no compatability with those games.

This, I am afraid, is a pointless thing to discuss. You see, there are good reasons for both systems to make the decision for backwards compatibilty yes or no. The 3DS is most likely to have backwards compatibility for DS games because there are no real changes to the platform and system which would make this impossible. If we look back however to the last 'real' system change from GBA games to DS games.. Well We donnot see this compatibilty anymore not only because of age but also for not having to sacrifice space within the console.

The PS vita, most likely has the same reason for not beeing able to play UMD's. Because there was a real change to the system and hardware.

So if whe compare this... The systems are equal for the most part of it.

If you disagree with above point, please let me know why.

On a online shop point of view... Well what's there to argue about again?

Both systems have backwardscompatibilty for consoles way back and both do not have by any stretch of the imagination have all titels of those old consoles.

So guys, keep on argueing but leave compatibilty to a rest.

Both manufactures act more or less the same in similair situations. Only, because they donnot at the same time, you donnot fully consider this point.

Hope this clears things up a bit. And I'm sorry, I donnot have the best English ever
wink.gif

I thought the argument was fine until the backwards-compatibility thing, in which case I had trouble explaining what I meant (I'm not sure what I even mean anymore, so I have to accept that the 3DS has somewhat of an advantage because it can play DS cards, while the Vita can't play UMDs.) Moclon had a good point there.

Anyway, I read your post and present no counter argument; you stated it quite well. Oh, and don't worry, your English is fine.

There is a reason the last thread failed. When you start with nothing but profanities and baseless opinions (like x is better than y by exactly 100 times), then you are doing nothing more than instigating a flame war. If it weren't for other members offering legit facts then this would have already gotten locked.

Okay. So then the 3DS must not be fully backwards compatible either, lol. You can't play the games that required the GBA slot.

Well, let's try to knock a bit of sense into this argument. We are talking about backward compatibilty at the moment.
In this argument there are two points to be made.

1. online games in e-stores
2. Hardware games such as UMD's and cards for the DS.

Let's start with the 3DS.
Nintendo released a page with full information about backwards compatibilty.
http://www.nintendo....ible_32441.html

As we can clearly see here, the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with older games from older Nintendo DS devices. So yes, from a hardware standpoint, the 3DS is backwards compatible untill you reach the GBA games. When you reach those, you are out of luck. GBA games (and older games wil not run.

The first DS came out on 21 of november 2004 according to this wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nintendo_DS. So from a hardware point of view the 3DS has backwards compatibilty for about 8 years worth of games. Which are all the same DS standard with some improvements for new systems along the line. So is this really backwards compatible? Isn't this just expanding the range of games that can be made. There is no real new standard invented, only new options added. These options can only be accessed in new systems. But apart from that no new inprovments are made. And whe have seen about 8(?, please correct me if I am wrong, I have no information on this matter) different DS systems since the first one. All with a new look and one or two extra features. Please consider this last point to, because here is the big 'problem'.

Seen again from the hardware point of view, the PS vita an entirely new game standard for the Portable Playstation devices.
The original PSP has been released in (again) 2004 as can be seen here. http://en.wikipedia....tation_Portable

And since then has used the UMD standard for games with every 'improved' version of the system.

Now with the ps vita, they switched to little cards. But they left out the UMD station so no compatability with those games.

This, I am afraid, is a pointless thing to discuss. You see, there are good reasons for both systems to make the decision for backwards compatibilty yes or no. The 3DS is most likely to have backwards compatibility for DS games because there are no real changes to the platform and system which would make this impossible. If we look back however to the last 'real' system change from GBA games to DS games.. Well We donnot see this compatibilty anymore not only because of age but also for not having to sacrifice space within the console.

The PS vita, most likely has the same reason for not beeing able to play UMD's. Because there was a real change to the system and hardware.

So if whe compare this... The systems are equal for the most part of it.

If you disagree with above point, please let me know why.

On a online shop point of view... Well what's there to argue about again?

Both systems have backwardscompatibilty for consoles way back and both do not have by any stretch of the imagination have all titels of those old consoles.

So guys, keep on argueing but leave compatibilty to a rest.

Both manufactures act more or less the same in similair situations. Only, because they donnot at the same time, you donnot fully consider this point.

Hope this clears things up a bit. And I'm sorry, I donnot have the best English ever
wink.gif

I thought the argument was fine until the backwards-compatibility thing, in which case I had trouble explaining what I meant (I'm not sure what I even mean anymore, so I have to accept that the 3DS has somewhat of an advantage because it can play DS cards, while the Vita can't play UMDs.) Moclon had a good point there.

Anyway, I read your post and present no counter argument; you stated it quite well. Oh, and don't worry, your English is fine.

Well again, yes and no, there is no real 'winner' because the real comparison would be GBA games on 3DS systems and UMD's on the PS vita. But the problem is that the last standard change for the nintendo systems was 8 years ago
smile.gif
. So as I tried to explain you cannot compare this. Honestly you can't. It's like saying the XBOX 360 SLIM with kinnect has backwards compatibilty for XBOX360 games.... (just imagine you could not use kinnect on the old system in any way). There never was a real change made only a bit of improved to give you something extra and a new feel. As were the XBOX to the XBOX 360 was a big significant change. And thus, there is no backwards compatibilty for XBOX disc to use them on a 360

Well again, yes and no, there is no real 'winner' because the real comparison would be GBA games on 3DS systems and UMD's on the PS vita. But the problem is that the last standard change for the nintendo systems was 8 years ago
smile.gif
. So as I tried to explain you cannot compare this. Honestly you can't. It's like saying the XBOX 360 SLIM with kinnect has backwards compatibilty for XBOX360 games.... (just imagine you could not use kinnect on the old system in any way). There never was a real change made only a bit of improved to give you something extra and a new feel. As were the XBOX to the XBOX 360 was a big significant change. And thus, there is no backwards compatibilty for XBOX disc to use them on a 360

I wasn't really disagreeing with you, though.

There is a reason the last thread failed. When you start with nothing but profanities and baseless opinions (like x is better than y by exactly 100 times), then you are doing nothing more than instigating a flame war. If it weren't for other members offering legit facts then this would have already gotten locked.

This guy right here.

Opinions, what are those.
Opinions are like asses, everyone has one and sometimes they stink.
NOW....

In my opinion, neither of the platforms are "better", it all comes down to preference.
Do you want shooters and lots of more "mature" games?
Go with the vita as I can guarantee that for every M rated game on the 3ds, the vita will have 10.

Do you want lot's of platformers and family friendly games?
The 3ds is for you. I know the vita has games like MNR and LBP, but the 3ds will overwhelm the vita in this category.

Also, processors and hardware aren't everything. Yes the vita pushes beautiful hd polys, but I've seen developers (capcom and Nintendo) make beautiful games with the 3ds's dual-core GPU. The vita may also have a stronger CPU and allow for more "intelligent" enemies than the 3DS, but seriously, how smart does a goomba need to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW....

In my opinion, neither of the platforms are "better", it all comes down to preference.
Go with the vita as I can guarantee that for every M rated game on the 3ds, the vita will have 10.

The 3ds is for you. I know the vita has games like MNR and LBP, but the 3ds will overwhelm the vita in this category.

Also, processors and hardware aren't everything. Yes the vita pushes beautiful hd polys, but I've seen developers (capcom and Nintendo) make beautiful games with the 3ds's dual-core GPU. The vita may also have a stronger CPU and allow for more "intelligent" enemies than the 3DS, but seriously, how smart does a goomba need to be?

That being said, this topic is sort of rediculous and, by the way things are looking now, will probably end up being locked due to excessive flaming.

Ugh, I hate the "Sony is dark and mature and Nintendo is family fun for the whole family LOL" stereotypes. Not even accurate. Look at the games I posted. Really not fitting the "mature" description. Both systems are balanced in their game selection.

And how smart does a Goomba need to be? Mario isn't the only series on 3DS.

I think that's a pretty fair argument, I'm not to clear on all the improvements in the Vita over the PSP, as I care for neither, but Nintendo's portables have been like this:
GB -> GBC: Addition of color and some other improvements (some by a lot [Polygonal rendering possible]), some color games didn't take full advantage of these new capabilities, and the cartridges were the same size, so some GBC games can be played on a normal GB.
GBC -> GBA: Addition of L & R buttons, Bigger Screen, More Colors, Better Sound
GBA -> GBA SP: First (International) Nintendo portable with a backlit screen.
GBA SP -> DS: Addition of a second screen with touch capabilities, larger resolution, higher color capabilities, addition of X and Y buttons, 3D rendering, Better Sound(?), Microphone, Wireless communications (internet and not).
DS -> DSi: Shop App, Cameras, SD Card slot, addition of applications, (I believe the screen also was capable of more colors, but DS card games [and possibly DSi ware] couldn't take advantage of this.
DSi -> 3DS: Stereoscopic 3D, Higher resolution (widescreen top screen), Capable of more advanced rendering and colors, first appearance of virtual console on a handheld (although that's not hardware related), circle pad, home button, accelerometer + gyroscope, as well as various improvements over the DSi.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW....

That being said, this topic is sort of rediculous and, by the way things are looking now, will probably end up being locked due to excessive flaming.

Ugh, I hate the "Sony is dark and mature and Nintendo is family fun for the whole family LOL" stereotypes. Not even accurate. Look at the games I posted. Really not fitting the "mature" description. Both systems are balanced in their game selection.

Alright, no need to get flared up. I was just trying to make a point and as I said in my post,the vita has games like little big planet and mod nation racers ( these are examples of family friendly games, just in case you thought I was saying the vita only has these two franchises.) I also said the 3DS would have M rated games, but the vita's library would have many more mature games than the 3DS's. Their libraries are not balanced, not by a long shot (well maybe by a long shot but still.)

Also, statistically more Nintendo games are aimed at the younger/ family audience than Sony games. Them is the facts.

Also I know mario isn't the only franchise on the 3DS, I own both Resident Evils on the 3DS, and their enemies are smart enough for me. I don't need zombies that can hide behind walls and peek around corners to see if the coast is clear.

NOW....

Alright, no need to get flared up. I was just trying to make a point and as I said in my post,the vita has games like little big planet and mod nation racers ( these are examples of family friendly games, just in case you thought I was saying the vita only has these two franchises.) I also said the 3DS would have M rated games, but the vita's library would have many more mature games than the 3DS's. Their libraries are not balanced, not by a long shot (well maybe by a long shot but still.)

Also, statistically more Nintendo games are aimed at the younger/ family audience than Sony games. Them is the facts.

Also I know mario isn't the only franchise on the 3DS, I own both Resident Evils on the 3DS, and their enemies are smart enough for me. I don't need zombies that can hide behind walls and peek around corners to see if the coast is clear.

No. They are balanced. Go take a look at the list of Vita games. And then the 3DS games. Nintendo is more family-friendly historically, yes, but the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV all have a balanced game selection. Not just a shooter/mature fest.

NOW....

No. They are balanced. Go take a look at the list of Vita games. And then the 3DS games. Nintendo is more family-friendly historically, yes, but the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV all have a balanced game selection. Not just a shooter/mature fest.
I thought you were saying the 3DS and Vita had balanced libraries when compared to each other.

NOW....

I thought you were saying the 3DS and Vita had balanced libraries when compared to each other.

That was exactly was I what saying.

Alright, I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Maybe we are talking about different 3DS's. Either way, I'm leaving this thread now, because I feel like it would be better for the younger viewers.

I am talking about the Nintendo 3DS game library, and the Sony PlayStation Vita library. But goodbye.

Alright, I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Maybe we are talking about different 3DS's. Either way, I'm leaving this thread now, because I feel like it would be better for the younger viewers.

I am talking about the Nintendo 3DS game library, and the Sony PlayStation Vita library. But goodbye.
Hello again, now that I've cooled of a bit I feel like I can carry out a normal discussion with you. When I looked online for the list of 3ds games and a list of vita games, I noticed that the vita does have a lot of "family appropriate games." I also noticed the 3DS has quite a few "mature" games. Their libraries are more balanced than I thought.
But I still believe that the systems' appeals still boils down to preference, and not so much the Hardware itself.

With that said, I don't know why Moclon insists on making these topics and I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets locked with how many fights it spawns. I am a huge proponent of games in general, and I like a good debate every now and then, but I feel like these arguments are unrefined and unnecessary.

Hello again, now that I've cooled of a bit I feel like I can carry out a normal discussion with you. When I looked online for the list of 3ds games and a list of vita games, I noticed that the vita does have a lot of "family appropriate games." I also noticed the 3DS has quite a few "mature" games. Their libraries are more balanced than I thought.
But I still believe that the systems' appeals still boils down to preference, and not so much the Hardware itself.

With that said, I don't know why Moclon insists on making these topics and I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets locked with how many fights it spawns. I am a huge proponent of games in general, and I like a good debate every now and then, but I feel like these arguments are unrefined and unnecessary.

Eh... the appeal depends on the person's point of view, the games, the design, the hardware... but I understand what you mean.

Well, I was tired of people telling me I was somewhat favoring Nintendo, I'll edit the first post to reflect the backward compatibility argument.

Now that's humor I can appruciate.

Back on-topic.

Well to be fair, there are some points to be made without having to get into a fight.

The PS vita (in my opinion) is clearly the better console. This is because of it's hardware, it's (mostly) mature game titles and the treu improvements on the handheld device. You can either agree or disagree, but it's my experience with the system.

But truth be told, when two weeks ago I was at my local game store I considered both these devices. I went home with the 3DS. Why? Simple. I own a psp and although it was a nice and strong device and triumped over the first nintendo DS (again in my opinion) it lacked content and mostly soul.

The device never gave me a full gaming experience which I want to have from a handheld. 2 specific titles came very close, but they had isseus of their own (I am referring to birth by sleep and the third birthday, both for psp)

So I was not confident enough about Sony to buy a ps vita. The 3DS however, well let's give one example Mario.. It's a legend it's lovely to play and has a lovely soul in it.

This discussion is clearly opinion based but so is every discussion. My opinion? The 3DS wins. Why? Because well, there is a platform with active users and a large support community, but more important. It has games I love to play. And that's all that matters to me. So the ps vita loses this one. Not because it's really bad.

It's just not living up to the expectations I have for a console. And if it does, well then it's father the psp ruined the experience in advance for me.

How about you guys? How do you think about this kind of stuff?

Back on-topic.

Well to be fair, there are some points to be made without having to get into a fight.

The PS vita (in my opinion) is clearly the better console. This is because of it's hardware, it's (mostly) mature game titles and the treu improvements on the handheld device. You can either agree or disagree, but it's my experience with the system.

But truth be told, when two weeks ago I was at my local game store I considered both these devices. I went home with the 3DS. Why? Simple. I own a psp and although it was a nice and strong device and triumped over the first nintendo DS (again in my opinion) it lacked content and mostly soul.

The device never gave me a full gaming experience which I want to have from a handheld. 2 specific titles came very close, but they had isseus of their own (I am referring to birth by sleep and the third birthday, both for psp)

So I was not confident enough about Sony to buy a ps vita. The 3DS however, well let's give one example Mario.. It's a legend it's lovely to play and has a lovely soul in it.

This discussion is clearly opinion based but so is every discussion. My opinion? The 3DS wins. Why? Because well, there is a platform with active users and a large support community, but more important. It has games I love to play. And that's all that matters to me. So the ps vita loses this one. Not because it's really bad.

It's just not living up to the expectations I have for a console. And if it does, well then it's father the psp ruined the experience in advance for me.

How about you guys? How do you think about this kind of stuff?
You summarized this very well, I considered the Vita too, and in fact, I was about to get a Vita, but (luckily) I couldn't end up getting them at launch, and by the time I could get them, I saw what was happening with the Vita, and decided to hop on the 3DS bandwagon, plus, the 3DS was cheaper in all aspects, and can play DS games, those were major bonuses for me.

Back on-topic.

PLEASE STOP THIS

I BEG OF YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back