3DS Vs PS VITA

Awards
Credits
So, both Sony and Nintendo have released their latest handheld gaming system (Latest for Nintendo is actually a 2DS but belongs to the 3DS family) and the public is already comparing them.

PS VITA Vs 3DS

large.jpg

The PS VITA is Sony's latest handheld entertainment system, after the PSP. The PS VITA has a 960 x 544 HD touch screen used to control many of the VITA's UI. This is a fairly big screen compared to both screens of the 3DS.

Unlike the 3DS, the PS VITA uses Sony's PSN Store, this giving the VITA much more variety of what the VITA can install.

The VITA can support apps like Skype and Facebook, while Nintendo has yet to develop apps like that for the 3DS.

The VITA has a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore processor, while the 3DS has a dual-core 266 MHz processor, this making the VITA faster, and much more powerful.

The PS VITA has a 1GB internal memory unit, mostly made for storing gamer profiles, while the 3DS has 1GB of memory for storing games and applications.

Both the 3DS and the PS VITA have a profile server system that allow for the downloading of games, however, the PS VITA's registered profile can only be changed by formatting the device, while for the 3DS, you can just go into the setting option and change it there.

The PS VITA's Browser is optimized for bigger websites than the 3DS', making it faster and seem to have better quality.

The PS VITA can download games for the PS3, making it your basic mobile console.

The 3DS has way more original games on it's software store, making it the better choice for experimenting with new games.

The 3DS offers the choice to go ahead and create your own games with the DSi's original Petit Computer.

The 3DS has a thicker sound system than the VITA, resulting in better quality.

Original gamers would think this is like comparing the PSP to the DSLite, which it pretty much is.

Have any comments, questions, feedback, or think I left something out, please reply to the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS Vita's don't come with 36 GB memory cards (those don't exist). The original Vitas with the OLED displays come with no memory card and the new Slim version with the LCD displays come with an 8 GB memory card.

PS Vita is a great system if you enjoy Japanese games.

The apps on the Vita aren't much of a selling point for me, my smartphone is faster and has a better display; same thing goes for the 3DS with its Netflix app.

Also, I think the PS Store is set up way better than the eShop. It's much easier to navigate and find games on the Vita than the 3DS.

My main draw with the Vita is its heavy use of the touch screen. My dad had one and it was just so awkward to use because of this. I know the 3DS has a touch screen but most of the games hardly ever use it and the ones that do don't use it near as much as the Vita. Games like OoT3D only used the touch screen for quick access to the inventory which I thought was very nice.

Also benoit489 is right. The original Vita didn't come with an SD card at all. I
remember because my dad had to by one just so he could save his game progress.
Besides since the 3DS games are smaller you really don't need a giant SD card in the
first place.

The only thing that I like better about the Vita is that it has better preformance. The graphics and speed are a big plus.

No one mentioned how the Vita can play your PS4 AND PS3 games on rather than on the TV (outputs it to the Vita rather than TV) so as to allow other people the use of the TV after you load the PS3 or PS4 game.

Actually, I own a PS VITA, It is a fact that they do indeed come with a 32GB Memory card. I screwed up and put 36GB.

They don't come with 32gb memory cards, you have to buy them separate!

My main draw with the Vita is its heavy use of the touch screen. My dad had one and it was just so awkward to use because of this. I know the 3DS has a touch screen but most of the games hardly ever use it and the ones that do don't use it near as much as the Vita. Games like OoT3D only used the touch screen for quick access to the inventory which I thought was very nice.

Also benoit489 is right. The original Vita didn't come with an SD card at all. I
remember because my dad had to by one just so he could save his game progress.
Besides since the 3DS games are smaller you really don't need a giant SD card in the
first place.

The only thing that I like better about the Vita is that it has better preformance. The graphics and speed are a big plus.

Recent updates to the PS VITA allow for use of the buttons to control the UI.

They don't come with 32gb memory cards, you have to buy them separate!

I didn't have to buy mine separate.

Where did you buy yours? Did you get a bundle?

The normal system comes without a memory card: Notice it says "Memory Required (Not Included)

2815005cv3a.jpg

cjPTDQe.jpg

The new Slim model comes with an 8GB memory card:

rlAoV1J.jpg

And even the 1st edition bundle only came with a 4GB memory card

0tiq6yR.jpg

I don't remember, It's been like a year, I suppose it may have been a bundle.

I found the box, It did come in a bundle with Assassins Creed Liberation.

Yeah that makes sense, it stinks the regular one doesn't come with one. Memory cards is one of the strengths the 3DS has over the Vita. For the 3DS you can but any brand SD card, I got a 32GB SD card that cost around $20. If I wanted 32GB for the Vita, I'd have to buy Sony's proprietary memory card for $70. You also have to factor in that you can get more 3DS games into a 32GB card than you can with Vita games. So you really get a lot more bang for your buck with 3DS memory cards.

I love my Vita. The console itself is comfortable and I like the one screen instead of the two. Even though a second screen is useful I realized how comfortable one is compared to two screens. The Vita's design is way better than the 3DS in my opinion, but there are so many issues with the Vita that make the 3DS better. Vita's memory card are proprietary for Vita which sky rockets the price. It makes the Vita so much more expensive than it has to be. Now the cards themselves are fast, but the price is still too high. The console also gets too many indie titles instead of exclusives which is a real let down. Honestly I wish that the 3DS was like the Vita because its library of games is amazing and it could really benefit from the hardware.

GameStop (or possibly Wal-mart, I forget which) did a promotion one time where if you bought a new PS Vita you got a free game or a 32 gig card, if I recall correctly. Raithgar would know better than I, he got his during that promo, I believe.

Well, the VITA has been around for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

Vince Edit: No posting piracy sites - especially old-school piracy forums no one else uses anymore.

Back