Ex-staff
Awards
Credits
48/2(9+3) =

a. 2

b. 288

I say 2. I won't say why...yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
)-) oookaaaai....is this some kind of twisted experiment or what? And I say 2 as well. BTW, you should possibly add a poll or something. just sayin'.
mellow.gif

An experiment, eh? Let's see what will the outcome will be.

Brackets, Exponents, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction -- ALWAYS in that order.

Thus:
48/2(9+3) -- the brackets first, 9+3 = 12, which gives us
48/2*12 -- then division/multiplication... this must be done left to right, therefore you must do 48/2 BEFORE multiplying by 12, and not 2 x 12 first. Otherwise, it would be 48/(2*12) -- anyway, the answer is 24*12 = 288.

Also... how the hell do things like this become memes?

On a normal day, Paul, 2 over 5x, without the parentheses or a space inbetween the 2/5 and the x.

Brackets first,So 48/2=24x12=288

I gave up maths a long time ago, but i know it's 288 (btw, they lied, you don't need calculus in real lied
tongue.gif
)

Unless you use... implied multiplication.

2/5x ... normally you'd read that as 2/(5x)... or would you read that as (2/5)x?
That's my argument. If we replace the quantity of (9+3) with the variable x, we have 48/2x. This would imply that 2 and x are multiplied together. Were it otherwise, it would read 48x/2. This is a good example of crappy notation and assumptions based on the writer of the expression's intent. Order of operations falls to pieces in this situation...do you solve this by the book, or with some algebra skills? The "proper" method, I think, will be based upon who you ask.

Please Eat My Dripping Artistic Sc**tum

I learned this in 5th grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back