Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Last night, in a daring warehouse heist near Seattle's SeaTac airport, thieves made off with 7,000 Nintendo Wii U consoles. Yes, you read that right: Seven thousand.

As reported by ABC News, the heist occurred during last night's storm. The thieves rolled into SeaTac's Seattle Air Cargo warehouse in two semi trucks, entered the warehouse, and used a forklift to load pallets of Wii U's into the semis and a third box-truck before driving off into the night. Can't say they didn't have guts.

The ABC report is a bit unclear about whether the consoles stolen were the new Wii U or the older Wii, but a spokesperson for the King County Sheriff's Office confirmed to Kotaku that the consoles stolen were in fact Wii U's. With an average price of around $300 per console, that means the thieves made off with around $2.1 million in hardware. Dang.

"I'd be surprised if they're still using that truck and that trailer," a King County Sheriff's Office representative told Kotaku over the phone, "but we still want people to call if they see anybody advertising for any great deals for Wii U's on Ebay or privately, especially if there's a large quantity of them." The King County Sheriff's office can be reached at 206-296-3311.

It may be possible to track individual Wii U's and determine if they've been stolen, though we're not entirely certain how that would work. I reached out to Nintendo for more information, but a Nintendo representative pointed out that if there is an anti-theft measure, Nintendo wouldn't want to talk about it, since it would be the first thing thieves would disable. If I get more information, I'll update this article.

In the meantime: If some guy in a back alley offers to sell you a thousand Wii U's for a fraction of their retail price, think twice.

more here

Wow, whoever works security at that warehouse is now looking for work right now.

Also kudos to Nintendo on not spilling their anti theft techniques.

This is the part that separates the regular thugs from the high class thieves. Hopefully I can find out what happens with this.

If you buy a stolen one and take it online (which you have to) then it will show up as stolen on the Nintendo network. I think craigslist would be the better choice if your looking to sell stolen Wii Us, it will be hard to track you down after the deal.

update:

Detectives say that "two trailers and a box truck" involved in the robbery have been recovered, with their markings and vehicle indentification numbers painted white. Weirdly, some of them were found to have "S.S. Trans" hastily scrawled on the sides, in writing so badly-drawn it must have been an inside joke for the crims.

In response, police have increased the reward for information on the cargo to $10,000 (the shipment was worth over $2 million).

source

I don't think these guys are going to get caught....

They most likely aren't going to get caught, they know what they are doing.
They probably already planned everything, what stores would be willing to sell them, if they try ebay or other online stores they will probably make like 10 accounts on each website and sell about 5 Wii U's on each account. They'll probably even be bold enough to sell via newspapers advertisings lol

I'm sure there all be notified about 7k Wii U's stolen. So if someone puts too many up for sale or tries to sell so many, busted.
It's really not that difficult to get around. They could sell them to multiple retailers and use multiple accounts on online stores like eBay and Amazon. To avoid suspicion they just need to *not* sell all 7,000 of them at once.

Seems like these guys were very clever criminals because that is a ridiculous amount to get away with. I hope they get caught before they target someone else.

If you guys ever find the thieves tell them that I want to buy a Wii U for $80. I'm ready to pay cash in a dark alley too. lol

Back