$79 GameStick console reaches its Kickstarter $100,000 goal in 30 hours, adds XBMC and DLNA post-la

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
5a2io7.jpg

PlayJam's Kickstarter project, "GameStick," is funded by crossing its $100K goal in around 30 hours with over 1,000 backers -- the team's turning to other news, like adding XBMC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/04/gamestick-kickstarter-funded/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8HXa5Ez5EA

KickStarter Pledge page: http://kck.st/12SSvMO

Current pledge amount : $186,772 as of January 4th 2013, 4:13 PM

Good for Gamestick. Amazing that people can build a 3D HD capable console brand without spending millions and billions of dollars these days because of the already available parts from PC, phones, tablets, etc which could be used to make a console.

It is also impressive that Gamestick got the support of one of the Co-Creators of Guitar Hero in the video.

I wonder would the pledge amount be over 1 million dollars after the remaining 27 days are up once the news, more blogs, and forums talk about Gamestick.

It's great to see that Xbox is not the only American game console since Ouya, and Gamestick are both created by Americans.

Indeed, Gamestick, Ouya, Steam with Steam Box, and cheaper computers in the $200-500 price might convince the casual gamer and gamers who are more into fun gameplay like games like Minecraft, Snes games, and Megaman then super high quality video like games like Halo 4 to play games on cheaper consoles, and games like Minecraft.

On Gamestick page, they want to capture the 99% of TVs which are not used for gaming according to

"There are over 1,416,338,245 TVs in the world but less than 1% of them are used to play games! Crazy.

We think that's because traditional games consoles and content are too expensive. So 12 months ago, we set out to challenge that by making the most affordable, open and portable TV games console ever created. At $79 GameStick offers the most affordable route to playing games on your TV."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

Can't believe only 1% of the world's TV are used for gaming.

I agree at the 79.99 price tag the console would be popular. I think a lot of people will also install Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora radio, and other Android apps on this console when they are not gaming on it.

Indeed, Gamestick, Ouya, Steam with Steam Box, and cheaper computers in the $200-500 price might convince the casual gamer and gamers who are more into fun gameplay like games like Minecraft, Snes games, and Megaman then super high quality video like games like Halo 4 to play games on cheaper consoles, and games like Minecraft.

On Gamestick page, they want to capture the 99% of TVs which are not used for gaming according to

"There are over 1,416,338,245 TVs in the world but less than 1% of them are used to play games! Crazy.

We think that's because traditional games consoles and content are too expensive. So 12 months ago, we set out to challenge that by making the most affordable, open and portable TV games console ever created. At $79 GameStick offers the most affordable route to playing games on your TV."

http://www.kickstart...es-console-ever

Can't believe only 1% of the world's TV are used for gaming.

I call BS. I know a few years ago those plug and play games were very popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Arcade-Pac-Man-Plug-Play/dp/B001Q3XE4O

I bet a lot of the people who bought those plug and play games already owned regular consoles, and used the same TV which is hooked up to a regular console like the PS2.

China has a lot of TVs, but hardly anyone owns game consoles because of a console ban according to articles I read online. I think it is the same for the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, and many other countries with poor people who can't afford 60 dollar games, or the government banning consoles for some reason.

I also read a lot of countries like South Korea play mostly games like StarCraft, and Diablo on computers, and console gaming never took off in many countries like South Korea where people are more into PC gaming.

Plus, PC Gaming might be cheaper in many countries because the parts and PC are made in the same country, or can be shipped cheaply to their country because they live close to the PC and PC parts factories. A lot of PC games like Doom, Quake and Minecraft run pretty good even on older computers. There are also internet cafe which let you game on a PC for a cheap hourly price.

I bet a lot of the people who bought those plug and play games already owned regular consoles, and used the same TV which is hooked up to a regular console like the PS2.

China has a lot of TVs, but hardly anyone owns game consoles because of a console ban according to articles I read online. I think it is the same for the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, and many other countries with poor people who can't afford 60 dollar games, or the government banning consoles for some reason.

I've been reading that the console ban in china is wavering. And the poor people are still a good generation behind us in what there getting for gaming machines.

This is pretty damn ambitious for the $200,000 they've got, especially if they're trying to support HD and whatnot. Even the Ouya, which I suspect is a significantly less powerful system is looking at a lot of challenges with the $8 million they raised.

But, I wish them the best of luck. I might sit on the sidelines before I jump at this Kickstarter (unlike Ouya which I threw money at the second I saw it).

Also, that controller looks disgusting but I like how the console fits inside it.

If these console becomes popular, I bet Madcatz, Nyko, and other 3rd party controller brands will make controllers for them since 3rd-party controller makers make most of its money from people who dislike the original controller, or are too cheap or poor to buy the original controller since official controllers can cost 50 dollars or more.

Back