A few things I'm wondering about the ESA's video game stats...

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
How exactly does this piece of data:

Parents are present when games are purchased or rented 91 percent of the time.

Work with these?

The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

and

In 2011, 29 percent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.

Now, I admit I'm no mathematician, but shouldn't this imply there's a significant amount of people over 50 who shop for video games with their parents? Okay, I admit the wording is vague (present might mean the 50 year old is the parent), but... are you telling me there's a large group of 37 year old gamers who go video game shopping with their parents?

These stats seem rather worrying in that context:

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

What do you think?

Well I'd say 'gamers under the age of 18' is implied in the first stat. It'd be highly unlikely for 37 year olds to be shopping for video games with their parents...

simply put-
AreYouFuckingKiddingMe_1200px_by_CrusierPL-300x239.png

1. Consumers spent $25.1 billion on video games, hardware and accessories in 2010.
2. Purchases of digital content accounted for 24 percent of game sales in 2010, generating $5.9 billion in revenue.
7. In 2011, 29 percent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.
9. Seventy-six percent of all games sold in 2010 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+.
Why the friking hell don't they update the stats from 2010 to 2011? It's like saying I earned a million bucks at work 2 years ago and didn't missed a day of work and This year I earned $1 and went every day to work. i don't give a damn what the stats were in 2010! they usually that crap with stats.....Drives me bat-sh!ttin'-crazy.

a 37 year old person going video game shopping with their parents... LOL, OMG! That is funniest mental picture I have had all week! Too funny! I'm nowhere near that age and I almost never have my mother present when I buy my games! Thanks for the laugh! XD

Back