Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
IGN spoke today with Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto about Mario's future since Zelda took such a defining change.

"We're always challenging ourselves to create something new, so hopefully you'll see a new kind of Mario in about a year or two.

Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something.

It's kind of difficult with Mario because some of the more important conventions of Mario are based on the approachability and accessibility of those games," Miyamoto said, noting that having new people join Nintendo has allowed them to look "at the conventions with fresh eyes."

I will be patiently waiting to see what they come up with. People complain about Nintendo releasing New Super Mario Bros games again and again. This complaint ignores the fact that Mario has been recreated so many times. Mario 64 was a huge departure from 2D Mario games. It revolutionized 3D gaming afterall. Mario 3D Land was an innovation as well because it gave us a mix between 2D and 3D. I have no clue what a new kind of Mario game will be, but I can't wait! Nintendo is special for a reason. They will impress us once again.

But Demon, and this transcends gaming, so often they try to update things and just turn them into mediocre tripe. Sure there's always room to innovate but I just feel like updating Mario (something with such a strong, strong classic legacy) would just turn out to be a bigger dud than the GameCube was.

I don't know. I hope I'm wrong. I hope they can breathe new life into the franchise as I am a Mario fan, but I'm just not really digging the idea.
It's almost like re-doing Beatles albums. They're art. They're classics. Do rereleases but don't try and tweak them.

But Demon, and this transcends gaming, so often they try to update things and just turn them into mediocre tripe. Sure there's always room to innovate but I just feel like updating Mario (something with such a strong, strong classic legacy) would just turn out to be a bigger dud than the GameCube was.

I don't know. I hope I'm wrong. I hope they can breathe new life into the franchise as I am a Mario fan, but I'm just not really digging the idea.
It's almost like re-doing Beatles albums. They're art. They're classics. Do rereleases but don't try and tweak them.

That's fine, but no one wants to rebuy the same thing over and over. At least put in a story.

I will be patiently waiting to see what they come up with. People complain about Nintendo releasing New Super Mario Bros games again and again. This complaint ignores the fact that Mario has been recreated so many times. Mario 64 was a huge departure from 2D Mario games. It revolutionized 3D gaming afterall. Mario 3D Land was an innovation as well because it gave us a mix between 2D and 3D. I have no clue what a new kind of Mario game will be, but I can't wait! Nintendo is special for a reason. They will impress us once again.

I honestly think that Mario games could have more serious story lines, it's 2016, sure Mario has been really based around kids, and teens, but how long can that train be rode. People are getting tired of Spiderman being the high school kid, why can't he have a kid or something, that's just a random thought. Why can't Mario become "Mario The Super Soldier" while still keeping the same look, just making coming up with a whole new series or something like that?

Look at Mario Galaxy and the refined Mario Galaxy 2, which came up with an improved 3D platform formula from Mario 64 and Sunshine. These game brought new life into the franchise and left a strong legacy for further development that eventually led to games such as Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. There is always room for innovation and formula deconstruction -although there is not much to deconstruct in an essentially platform game like Mario is-.

The classics never die. Newer generation gamers still enjoy masterpieces such as Super Mario Bros 3. The classics do not perish, still they are there to be enjoyed and loved. And they will remain intact forever. Moving on in order to create innovative games with Mario doesn't mean a "re-doing" of the classics. His debut will still be remembered as the pixelated plumber with green mustache and eyes that rescued the Videogame Industry and changed everything about it.

Mario has had an amazingly long legacy from his inception in mid '80s up until now and I have some confidence that the latest instantiation of Mario will further his legacy and provide a new experience in game play. The only issue is will the expected improvement in gameplay keep up with the advancements in the other gaming systems as Nintendo is already lagging the XBox One not to mention the PS4.

I would really love to see a new Mario game. I've played all of them and they're something that I've enjoyed since I was a kid so it would be amazing to have something new to play.

Back