A New Nintendo 2DS?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Do you think that's a possibility at some point in the foreseeable future?

After all, some people don't like 3D, so the 2DS is for them. And the New Nintendo 3DS will have more features and exclusive games, so some of these people may want to try it...

So will Nintendo make a 2D only version of the console for them? Or is the assumption that the 'no 3D' audience don't want any New Nintendo 3DS exclusive games?

I don't feel that the 2DS was necessarily designed specifically to cater to the 'I hate 3D' crowd... The design is much better for younger kids, less likely to break, and doesn't have the fragile clamshell hinges and design. Plus, for those who happen to not care about the 3D or the portability of the console, it's a less expensive model, which also appeals to people with younger kids.

I dunno if they'd bother at this point... I kind of think the 2DS was put in to offer another cheaper price point, around the time of a big release like Pokemon. It probably got even more people to jump onto the system and try the games, maybe they're hoping that those people might upgrade to the new consoles. If they do decide to put out a 'New 2DS', I hope they decide to put it out earlier in the new consoles life cycles... Everyone was so confused the by original 2DS, it'd be bizarre to put it off a couple years again...

True. But are young kids not supposed to buy any New 3DS only games? Cause I can see the second gen 6 Pokemon game being a New Nintendo 3DS one...

How well did the 2DS actually sell though, compared to the 3DS and 3DS XL? Granted it may not have been out as long, but I never hear about it anymore, or see anyone with it. Their original thinking with the 2DS may not have panned out, whatever it was. They could also be hoping those people they hooked with the lesser expensive model may swing for the New Nintendo 3DS this time around. The 2DS may be a better choice for younger kids and a good model for those who might want to try 3DS games with less of a down payment, but we went a long time without it too.

I still kind of question how good of an idea it is to have such a spread of console designs anyway... That's a lot of investment in manufacturing. Besides, why push a second less expensive model when we have two to pick from already...

It's possible that they'll make a new one, but it's also possible that they won't. They may just want to funnel people towards getting the new 3DS, which would be a logical way for them to make more money I suppose. Personally, I don't like the 3D, but I got a 3DS because of the model, it's a lot easier to pocket over a 2DS. I also prefer the screen size on the XL models.?

That's true, Nintendo does want them to buy the New 3DS rather than selling two different models of it.

But... the 3D still gets a bad rap from some idiots/tabloid newspaper readers/overly paranoid parents.

Well, the 3D is pretty bad, but the new 3DS has better 3D apparently, so we'll see how it goes from there!

Back