Other A Ransomware gang claims to have Hacked Epic Games’ internal data

cpvr

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Claiming it has nearly 200 gigabytes of internal data including emails, passwords, full names, payment information and source code.

A relative newcomer to the ransomware scene is claiming to have successfully hacked game developer and distributor Epic Games.

The Mogilevich gang made the claim overnight, posting the details of the apparent hack on its darknet leak site.

“We have quietly carried out an attack to [sic] Epic Games’ servers,” a Mogilevich spokesperson said.

The gang claims to have 189 gigabytes of data, including “email, passwords, full name, payment information, source code and many other data”. The data is currently listed as up for sale.
Source: Fortnite game developer Epic Games allegedly hacked

Just sold my Fortnite account yesterday. Hopefully they've changed the password :rofl:

I barely played if at all. No progress I'm worried about. Epic gives away free games and it's still never enough.

Actually industry standards have changed, so long as you have a long password like 15 or more characters, not needed to change it.
Any corporation I have done IT in still follows the policy of changing the password every x months.

Sure having a long password makes it hard to bruteforce it, but if an entire server is hacked and passwords are gotten that way.(One would hope they are encrypted somehow but thats beside the point) it doesn't really matter. That is why I say even for general users it is good to change your password every few months. Unfortunately a-lot of people still use the same password for everything for years... So all it takes is one account to get hacked and hypothetically speaking everything else can be gotten into. 2 Factor Authentication is also very important for that reason.

and just to ramble for the sake of rambling... lol

Hacking is actually not to common for most attacks...

Phishing is the real culprit of most security issues. There is always that one person who just clicks the link in an email and puts whatever in without any thought. *slams head on desk* The biggest security exploit is the end user in most cases XD.

Last edited:
This is terrible news to read. Hopefully everyone changed their information accordingly. I really don't understand why people do these sorts of things. Things like this are why it's a good practice to change your passwords regularly.

Any corporation I have done IT in still follows the policy of changing the password every x months.

Sure having a long password makes it hard to bruteforce it, but if an entire server is hacked and passwords are gotten that way.(One would hope they are encrypted somehow but thats beside the point) it doesn't really matter. That is why I say even for general users it is good to change your password every few months. Unfortunately a-lot of people still use the same password for everything for years... So all it takes is one account to get hacked and hypothetically speaking everything else can be gotten into. 2 Factor Authentication is also very important for that reason.

and just to ramble for the sake of rambling... lol

Hacking is actually not to common for most attacks...

Phishing is the real culprit of most security issues. There is always that one person who just clicks the link in an email and puts whatever in without any thought. *slams head on desk* The biggest security exploit is the end user in most cases XD.

Well if you haven't seen my one nightmare topic, my company and me as the network admin, went through a major ransomware attack last year and once the dust settled, we talked to security experts that say, so long as your password is long and never give it out there is little to no risk. Only risk I can think of is there is some kind of keylogger in place to secretly take your password, otherwise how else would they get a password?

Well if you haven't seen my one nightmare topic, my company and me as the network admin, went through a major ransomware attack last year and once the dust settled, we talked to security experts that say, so long as your password is long and never give it out there is little to no risk. Only risk I can think of is there is some kind of keylogger in place to secretly take your password, otherwise how else would they get a password?
That is where the phishing comes into play.

We have a strict you enter your password in a wrong area, you tell us at work and we kill accounts and recreate logins.
Sounds like y'all have some good solid processes. Unfortunately some don't really realize they put it in a wrong area lol.

I have also noticed that the bigger the company is, the higher chance of mess ups happening. Let's just say a certain Retail company that I use to work for had several whoopsies that turned into oh no.... lol.

It’s something that’s common, but is actually discovered to be unnecessary. NIST says only change when necessary. Constant password changes can also cause more confusion or incidents than increasing security.

It definitely causes more Help desk calls for password resets lol.
Yeah, they’re basically placing the security on the users and not on the company.

Having a complex password requirement prevents dictionary attacks, having a timeout feature to lock the account after like 3 attempts prevents brute forces, and adding hashed passwords essentially eliminates the need for periodic password resets, and has the added benefit of reducing time for password resets.

Back