froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
USB-C is a fantastic new standard for almost everything, unless you have a crappy cable, in which case you might accidentally fry your laptop. The people behind USB-C understandably see this as a problem, so a fix is in the works.

The solution is reasonably simple: when you plug in a USB-C cable that’s been verified by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), it will talk to your device over an encrypted connection to confirm that it’s legit, and what sort of charging or data transfer it’s capable of.

Read More

It's good that there are now ways to a cable with software to check if it is a good legit cable.

I feel less trustworthy cable makers will just copy the good cables' software, and you still risk getting a bad cable if you don't read reviews to see if other people got a bad cable which destroyed their devices with a USB-C port.

I rather just continue using devices with a Micro-USB port to charge with a Micro-USB cable since it is easier to find quality Micro-USB cables for my devices by just reading the thousands of Amazon, and Newegg reviews online for Micro-USB cables. I also never had problems with Micro-USB cables which I use on my tablets, Raspberry Pi PCs, and other devices which uses Micro-USB.

I don't see how that could be possible as bad static will fry everything.

I had a USb stick that got fried. But not any PCs, just a burnt explosive power supply, :'(

Back