Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
ABC Local is on top of its game this week, warning the world that, according to experts, there is cursing on Xbox Live. And racial slurs! And cyber-bullying!

The news outlet writes:

Imagine exposing your child to racial slurs and X-rated content on a daily basis without realizing it. Experts warn that's exactly what could be happening if you let your child play an online video game through Xbox, PlayStation or on the computer.

Translation: "What are people mad about nowadays? How about those video games? They're evil, right? Can we get some authors saying they make kids racist?"

"Incredible levels of profanity, racial epithets, homosexually-oriented epithets. We're talking 8-, 9-, 10-, 11-year-old kids who are getting exposed to this regularly," said Roberts. Internet safety expert Parry Aftab says this inappropriate language in online gaming is rampant, and she's concerned it's leading to dangerous cyber bullying. "They may trash talk. They may be calling you names. They may steal their passwords. Or a lot of them may gang up on one online, not because it's a good strategic win, but to hurt the other person," said Aftab.

Because none of this happens, on, say, a playground. Or at school. Or anywhere that 11-year-old kids hang out because this is what 11-year-old kids do.

But parental involvement is still key. Ask your child to unplug the headphones and turn up the speakers so you can hear exactly what's being said. "Don't let your kid go upstairs and close his bedroom door, and sit there and play all night," said Kinney. "That's crazy. You have no idea what's going on, who's saying what."

Good thing we've got experts.

source

HAHAHAHAHAH! *Falls to ground.* fail!

The major problem is that we have 5-6 year old kids playing COD with us who can't even shoot :/

The funny thing is that more than half of all that cursing and cyberbullying is coming from those same kids we need to be "protecting".

The major problem is that a lot of people who play Xbox live don't have a very big vocabulary. I've never played with young players, its usually just 20-25yrs of age.

The true funny thing is that these little kids that are trying to be protected are playing games like COD and those games are rated MATURE! Which is like rated-R, I have no problem with kids under the age watchign rated-R films or playing rated MATURE games but people need to get their heads out of their @$$3$ and see that those games are rated that for a reason and if you don't want your kids hearing things like that then don't let them play.

The true funny thing is that these little kids that are trying to be protected are playing games like COD and those games are rated MATURE! Which is like rated-R, I have no problem with kids under the age watchign rated-R films or playing rated MATURE games but people need to get their heads out of their @$$3$ and see that those games are rated that for a reason and if you don't want your kids hearing things like that then don't let them play.

It says M for ingame content. Online interactions are not rated by the ESRB. But in any case, there is no reason for people to use curse words so much.

Even thought it's laughable to people that play online, this report is necessary for parents that don't know that this much goes on during online play. I mean, who would really think that it's that horrible and outrageous? You may have initially thought that it was one game that you had to keep your kid from, but when you find out that it's across the board, you really have to consider what you are going to do for kid in relation to letting them play.

Even thought it's laughable to people that play online, this report is necessary for parents that don't know that this much goes on during online play. I mean, who would really think that it's that horrible and outrageous? You may have initially thought that it was one game that you had to keep your kid from, but when you find out that it's across the board, you really have to consider what you are going to do for kid in relation to letting them play.

The world we live in lol sometimes I am sad to be here. Animals are more civil

The world we live in lol sometimes I am sad to be here. Animals are more civil

At least we acknowledge that rape is wrong, whereas it is often the status quo amongst animals. Chimps go to war, dolphins murder and torture for fun, and zombies are a very real thing. Civility is relative.

At least we acknowledge that rape is wrong, whereas it is often the status quo amongst animals. Chimps go to war, dolphins murder and torture for fun, and zombies are a very real thing. Civility is relative.

They are meant to act like that no? We fight for worse things, like shoes. We steal stupid things, like pencils lol. Human race is definitively the worst of them.

Back