froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Four years ago, Adobe made a decision to stop updating the Flash Player package (NPAPI) on Linux, aside from delivering security patches. It has made an about turn on this decision in the last week and has said that it will keep it in sync with the modern release branch going forward. It is currently testing the latest build in a beta capacity.

The move will see Mozilla Firefox users bumped up to the latest release of Flash Player if they have the package installed. For the last four years, only the Flash Player (PPAPI) in Google Chome has been kept up to date.

Read More

This is good news for people who use Flash online programs, and play modern flash games on Firefox for Linux.

I thought I read somewhere that the linux users themselves kept things updated?

I thought I read somewhere that the linux users themselves kept things updated?

There is a unofficial versions of Flash player called Gnash which is created as an alternative to running Adobe Flash Player. Gnash is kept updated by Linux programmers.

But, Gnash does not work as well as the regular version of Adobe Flash Player which is maintained by Adobe.

Last edited:
I agree, it is better than nothing.

At least, Adobe is no longer ignoring Firefox Linux users, and will be updating Adobe Flash Plugin for Firefox for Linux, so there will soon be more flash player plug-ins for Firefox for Linux since Gnash does not work well on some flash sites.

I wish more companies would support Linux OS, I'd love to have a proper free option replacement for windows.

I think if you don't play Windows-only games, or use a lot of Windows-only software like MS Paint, Ubuntu Linux, Linux Mint, and other Linux based operating systems can be a good alternative operating system.

Back