Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

The new version boasts updated graphics scaling up to 4K resolution, additional zoom levels and gameplay improvements, as well as a remastered soundtrack. Plus you will also be able to play multiplayer over Xbox Live.

No release date has been set at this time but beta sign-ups are live.

"WOLOLO", lol.. they really know their fanbase.
I'm excited to see this, Age of Empires was one of my first games ever and I have lots of memories in it! I sucked greatly since I was only a kid, can't wait to play it as an adult and.. well, probably still sucks since RTS are not really my genre. But I will like it as much as before!

Brogan?

I'm down for playing this again. Enjoyed Age of Empires 2 HD, glad this is finally getting the same treatment (and then some)!

Yess! I was such a huge Age of Empires geek, haha. My favorite was Age of Empires 3. Even before they released the AoE2 HD, I've still constantly played AoE3 over LAN and with my friends. We set up parties of 3v3 or 2v2 and competed against each other. It is one of the most amazing strategy games ever released. It is up there with Civilization. I really wish they'd still make such games.

I can't wait to buy this. It will bring back so many memories. I want to see what changes they make to the original one. Thank you for the beta link. I've just signed up so fingers crossed.

I was waiting so long for this, I'm so happy that game got overhauled and still has healthy fan base!

Sounds good but is the price worth it? I remember purchasing the Age of Mythology Enhanced Edition on Steam, and it was a steaming pile of excrement. I played a round and it was not even close to the amount they were asking, and by the time I decided to ask for a refund, the 2 hours was already up and I had to pay full price for a game that definitely was not worth it. I'll have to see other reviews first before getting into bed with these game re-release with better graphics, as I've been burned before.

The trouble with remasters is that even the smallest change, from graphical to underlying engine, can alter the game-play. And the game-play is essential to the point of a remastered edition of a product.

It's one of the reasons why Blizzard is hesitant to remaster Diablo II, and why they're so worried about their Starcraft: Brood War remaster. I also think it's why they're so hesitant to remaster Warcraft III, despite having the assets.

If any changes in the Definitive Edition alter the game-play, this remaster will be DOA.

The trouble with remasters is that even the smallest change, from graphical to underlying engine, can alter the game-play. And the game-play is essential to the point of a remastered edition of a product.

It's one of the reasons why Blizzard is hesitant to remaster Diablo II, and why they're so worried about their Starcraft: Brood War remaster. I also think it's why they're so hesitant to remaster Warcraft III, despite having the assets.

If any changes in the Definitive Edition alter the game-play, this remaster will be DOA.
Remasters also may ruin the nostalgia factor of the games, which would lead to your own fanbase turning against you if you mess it up. Better graphics, better gameplay, and other tweaks to the old game is fine if it fits the bill. If you are adding things in an old game just for the sake of trying to justify the price you are setting (and let's face it, remasters are expensive), you are just digging yourself into a hole. Age of Mythology remaster was a mess, and even the core fanbase hates it to the bone. I regret - fully regret - buying that piece of flaming guano full price when I saw it on Steam. And all that I did for nostalgia's sake. I still have the old discs of AoM from my childhood, and that's what I play instead.

Yess! I was such a huge Age of Empires geek, haha. My favorite was Age of Empires 3. Even before they released the AoE2 HD, I've still constantly played AoE3 over LAN and with my friends. We set up parties of 3v3 or 2v2 and competed against each other. It is one of the most amazing strategy games ever released. It is up there with Civilization. I really wish they'd still make such games.

I can't wait to buy this. It will bring back so many memories. I want to see what changes they make to the original one. Thank you for the beta link. I've just signed up so fingers crossed.
I actually miss LAN parties. We don't do that in today's gaming world because of the internet, and everyone can simply connect with their friends from the comfort of your own home. But it's not the same though, I miss screaming at teammates and laughing at mistakes, then trying hard not to sleep because a marathon is taking place. It was fun to be a kid during the dawn of the internet age, when gaming was still young but you can actually appreciate both the gameplay breakthroughs and graphics.

Remasters also may ruin the nostalgia factor of the games, which would lead to your own fanbase turning against you if you mess it up. Better graphics, better gameplay, and other tweaks to the old game is fine if it fits the bill. If you are adding things in an old game just for the sake of trying to justify the price you are setting (and let's face it, remasters are expensive), you are just digging yourself into a hole. Age of Mythology remaster was a mess, and even the core fanbase hates it to the bone. I regret - fully regret - buying that piece of flaming guano full price when I saw it on Steam. And all that I did for nostalgia's sake. I still have the old discs of AoM from my childhood, and that's what I play instead.
Yes, I've heard that people hated the Age of Mythology remaster. Was it really that bad?

Part of me wants to see a Pharaoh/Cleopatra remaster, but for the reasons you stated... hesitant, at the very least.

Back