froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Google announced that all Chromebooks launched in 2019 will be Linux-ready right out of the box, which is great for developers, enthusiasts, and newbies alike.

Read More

This is good news for users of newer Chromebook who want to use LibreOffice, Gimp image editor, Firefox, and other Linux compatible software in Chrome OS.

Hopefully, users of older Chromebook will also get the Chrome OS update, and be able to use Linux software on their older Chromebooks.

Has anyone got any experience with Chromebooks and the Chrome OS? It's always put me off because I feel like it might be a bit more restrictive compared to Windows.

Has anyone got any experience with Chromebooks and the Chrome OS? It's always put me off because I feel like it might be a bit more restrictive compared to Windows.

I use an Asus C202SA-YS02 Chromebook. I use it for web browsing, basic office work like typing documents and spreadsheets, video watching, and printing documents with Google Cloud Print. My Chromebook can install Android apps and games from Google Play.

I can install Linux software like Gimp image editor after turning on Linux Beta for Chromebook in the settings section for Chrome OS. But, sound does not yet work in Linux for Chromebook, so it is mostly useful for programs like image editors which dont use sound.

But, I feel a $400 and more expensive Windows based computer would be better for more intensive tasks like gaming, video editing, etc because Android, Linux, and Chrome OS may not have software like Adobe Photoshop and games like Fortnite users want to install.

Reactions: Ash
linux can be a bit of a learning curve though.

linux can be a bit of a learning curve though.

This is true Linux can be a bit of a learning curve.

But, some Linux OS like Ubuntu Linux are easier to learn how to use where users can learn how to install Linux compatible software like Gimp and LibreOffice after watching a few video tutorials on Ubuntu Linux on YouTube.

Hopefully, Google also release a Linux software center program for making it easier for Chromebook users to install Linux compatible software and games in Chrome OS without using text based command lines in a Terminal command line program for Linux.

Last edited:
Great news for chrome OS users!
That's a good way to grab attention and make it to the top xD

Hopefully, Google will also make more games and software for Linux, so Linux users will have more feature-rich Linux photo editors, video editors, and games which are as good as Windows and Mac software and games which has a lot of useful features which users want to use.

Back