Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Of late, two big game series have gone episodic, those being Hitman and Final fantasy 7 Remake and the reason being is that both are promising large words with tons of content. Now gamers don't like that, as per episode you have to purchase it and most likely spend more than buying one game.

No matter how bad it is, its something that needs to happen if we want these huge AAA video games to make it to market. Consider this, FF 7 was released years ago on PS1, back then even it was a huge project costing a lot of money which the game itself was released on three discs or episodes. Back then, that could be afforded and doable due to the limited console specs.

Flash forward today where the PS4 and Xbox One are power houses and lots of things can be done at HD specs and above, how much do you think that costs? If FF 7 remake was released as one game like it was back on PS1, that would cost the company way too much money and even at $80 I doubt they ever make the money they spent on it back and should the remake flop, Square Enix is gone as no company could survive such a profit crash.

So as we head into future gens and gamers want bigger worlds and more content, I don't believe everything can be released at once. For game makers to do the game right, they will most likely have to release it in batches to get some money back and to properly release it.

Would you agree with this? Is gaming tech becoming so better that it affects the games in a negative way?

I think laziness plays a big part too, in terms of developers wanting to rush a game to the market. But there is also an extent of gamers wanting size over substance which I think impacts the development of big AAA games massively. Hopefully we don't see a continuing trend towards episodic games, but regardless, they usually launch a 'full' game retail package at the end - which in most cases I would be more than willing to wait for.

I think laziness plays a big part too, in terms of developers wanting to rush a game to the market. But there is also an extent of gamers wanting size over substance which I think impacts the development of big AAA games massively. Hopefully we don't see a continuing trend towards episodic games, but regardless, they usually launch a 'full' game retail package at the end - which in most cases I would be more than willing to wait for.

but the problem is games are becoming to big and costly, they can't really afford that in one go.

but the problem is games are becoming to big and costly, they can't really afford that in one go.
Big mainly in the fact that they put size over substance, that's my point. If there wasn't this constant need to produce a bigger map than game X then it would be a lot more practical, both in time and money.

Big mainly in the fact that they put size over substance, that's my point. If there wasn't this constant need to produce a bigger map than game X then it would be a lot more practical, both in time and money.

I agree, its this reason why I might not be getting xenoblade chronicles X due to the fact it takes a few hours to get across the world maps.

I'm okay with buying games in episodes if they are sold for a more affordable price like $40 or less for each episode, and there are a lot of great gameplay and plot.

I never read the Harry Potter books, but I'm pretty sure that they were all of about the same size. How could the previous 6 books fit into single movies but the last one didn't?

they usually cut a lot of stuff out of the book movies, for the last two they had to put in some cut out stuff from past books as well as not cut out much from the 7th book. Plus that battle would not have been epic if done in one movie.

And of course it was split for the $$$

Back