Amiibo- Thoughts?

Brunn

Arwing Pilot
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
So the first wave of Amiibo figures were released today! Target had a pretty fantastic sale of 3 figures for $30, so we went and bought six of them today. We picked up Fox McCloud, Marth, Link, Kirby, Yoshi, and Pikachu. Just wondering what everyone thought of the figures themselves. Here's my thoughts...

• Surprisingly well painted! I gotta say, I was actually pretty shocked by jsut how nice they look. We compared the different figures to make sure we got really well painted ones before getting them, and for the most part I think we took the first of each figure we picked up. The only one I recall trading out for a different box was Fox, as the first one I picked up had a slight discoloration on one eyebrow.

I'm honestly a little astonished with them. Fox at least is amazingly well detailed. The color fade for his tail markings is lovely, and even tiny details are well done, like the ridiculously small silver d-rings on the back of his jacket, and the itty bitty Star Fox Team logo between his shoulders.

I'm sure there's probably figures out there with painting errors, like the messed up Kirby with off center eyes that was going around the internet, and we did see a Pikachu that had some sort of problem with the plastic of his face, but overall nearly every figure we handled at the store and the ones we bought were supurb.

• Fairly Sturdy. The plastic for them is pretty nice, and only the thinnest parts of the figures are bendable, like Link and Marth's swords and extended arms, and Marth's cape. Overall, I still wuldn't recommend them for kids to PLAY with because of that. They're more collectables then action figures for sure, and probably wouldn't hold up real well.

• Nintendo doesn't understand plastic support offsets. At all. You know when you have figurines or toys that are supposed to be flying, or leaping, or generally not attached to the ground in any way, but HAVE to actually be attached to the ground so they aren't defying gravity? You know how those are usually attached with clear plastic offsets so you can more easily imagine that there isn't anything there? Yeah, Nintendo doesn't get that.

link_amiibo_figure_new_design.jpg

And it's a little embarrasing. Why they decided to change from the lovely clear plastic to these garishly colored plastic stands are beyond me. Fox McCload has two blue stands attached to his legs and feet. The figures would have looked so much better if they'd just used clear plastic- heck, doesn't that mean they sent even more money to use plastic that's had dye put in? It's not even the thickness of them, which I'm betting is to make them sturdier; the colors on them just look awful and tacky, and really detract from the figures themselves. I mean... why?

• Some of the figures do look better then others- but a lot of that will be personal opinion too. I think the figure that we got that I'm least happy with construction wise is Yoshi. Maybe it's because he doesn't wear clothes and has a really limited color pallet, but the seams where his legs, arms and nose connect are very noticeable. He's sturdily put together, but seems like he has an excess of seams. I'm sure it's less noticeable on Fox or Link because they can ride those things in sleeves and pant seams easier.

I think my least favorite figure we got was Marth... He just seems, off somehow. The painting on him is flat, and I just don't like his face. He looks like an anime character, and not in a good way.
Overall, I'm pretty excited about them. I like them for the collection value mostly, though it will; be cool to use the figures in games. We picked up Smash Bros for the Wii U today too, but I was too busy playing Dragon Age: Inquisition to mess with it much. My husband set up Kirby and Pikachu to fight on their own against some NPCs on there, they level pretty quickly. I've heard it only takes about 3 hours or so fully level them.

So did anyone else pick up any Amiibos? What do you think of the little dudes?

I haven't picked up any amiibo figures yet due to it being close to my birthday (December 2) and Christmas.

I plan to collect all of them over the arriving months, as crazy as it sounds.

I hate how some are more interesting than others. I mean Mario has fire. Everyone else is just standing or doing a normal pose.

I won't know in person until the Ness figure comes out. Assuming they make one. I haven't heard about it or seen it... That would piss me of actually. Why make only certain characters? How is that fair for those who don't use those characters? Nintendo should've thought about that.

I hate how some are more interesting than others. I mean Mario has fire. Everyone else is just standing or doing a normal pose.

I won't know in person until the Ness figure comes out. Assuming they make one. I haven't heard about it or seen it... That would piss me of actually. Why make only certain characters? How is that fair for those who don't use those characters? Nintendo should've thought about that.

They're making one for every character. And they're all copies of their trophies in game, so that's why Mario has fire.

They're making one for every character. And they're all copies of their trophies in game, so that's why Mario has fire.

Oh... Lol I don't have Mario's trophy yet. Whoops.

So yeah I'll get my amiibo as soon as Ness comes out. Unless I get a new main by that time.

Haven't bought one yet.  But once I do I will get Link and Samus, maybe Kirby and Fox down the line.

I'm not seeing the one with the yellow stand, is it between Link's legs or behind him? It is very distracting

Check this out!

dark_link_cropped__large.jpg

5_-_si3spcj__large.jpg

1_-_8ha8h1v__large.jpg

2_-_zwmjgzj__large.jpg

3_-_rli1pau__large.jpg

4_-_5ew9m36__large.jpg

defective_samus_amiibo_two_arm_cannons_3.jpg

I'm surprised Nintendo put blood on AC Villager's ax. Actually those look awesome. I want those ones.

Check this out!

5_-_si3spcj__large.jpg

1_-_8ha8h1v__large.jpg

2_-_zwmjgzj__large.jpg

3_-_rli1pau__large.jpg

4_-_5ew9m36__large.jpg

I'm surprised Nintendo put blood on AC Villager's ax. Actually those look awesome. I want those ones.

Those are Amiibos that people have customized themselves. Well, except for the dual wielding Samus, that's just a sweet manufacturing defect!

Check this out!

5_-_si3spcj__large.jpg

1_-_8ha8h1v__large.jpg

2_-_zwmjgzj__large.jpg

3_-_rli1pau__large.jpg

4_-_5ew9m36__large.jpg

Those are Amiibos that people have customized themselves. Well, except for the dual wielding Samus, that's just a sweet manufacturing defect!

Well now I'm upset, but not too upset. I mean I could paint one myself... if I felt like it.

Back