PlayStation Analyst predicts PS5 price increase ‘will have minimal impact on sales’

cm2

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from VGC:

Citing the challenging global economic environment, on Thursday Sony said it had “made the difficult decision” to raise PS5 prices in Europe, Japan and parts of North America, although not the US, effective immediately.

Responding to the news, Piers Harding-Rolls, Ampere’s research director for games, predicted that pent-up demand for Sony’s console meant the company was unlikely to alter its PS5 sales forecast.

“While we believe there will be disappointment for some consumers that have been trying to buy a PS5 without success, or that were saving to buy the console just in time for the price to increase, the high pent up-demand for Sony’s device means that this price increase of around 10% across most markets will have minimal impact on sales of the console,” he wrote. “We expect Sony’s sales forecast for the PS5 to remain unchanged.”

“However, with inflation and price increases being felt through the component supply chain, much of that priced in US dollars, alongside continued high costs in distribution, Sony has now had to pass on some of those cost increases to try and maintain its hardware profitability targets.”

He added: “Although wide ranging, the PS5 price increases are relatively nuanced and are taking place in markets where the impact is being felt the most with an added layer of squeeze coming from the strength of the US dollar.

“Price increases will take place in at least 45 markets globally, but not in the US, due again to the strength of US dollar currency. The US is the biggest console market globally, and where Sony competes with Microsoft most closely for market share.”

Last edited:
I think their scarcity still helps their sales so there's some truth to it. It's more of a luxury item anyways.

It is too bad that Sony decided to raise the price of the PS5. I wonder would more people will buy a cheaper console like a Nintendo Switch after the PS5 price becomes more expensive.

I bet, Sony will also release PS5 which are different colors or have custom graphics which can help sell PS5s at a higher price to game console collectors.

Back