Any "Competitive" Gamers Here?

Klasens

Awards
Credits
For the last few years I had been trying to break into the professional League of Legends scene (I just recently decided to pursue other things) but up until then I took the game very seriously. I would clock days of 6-7+ hours playtime and that would be quite normal. Has anyone else ever tried to pursue something like that (be it for any game). It was something I tried really hard to do but it never really took off.

I'm a competitive gamer sometimes, especially whenever I play on multiplayer with others my competitive monster gets a little bit out there, but I try not to very often. Remind my self that hey its just a game lol.

I never tried it, it's really hard to be a competitive gamer and make a living out of it. I know it isn't possible for me, even tough I play some games like Counter Strike and Dota 2 really good. First of all you need to spend a lot of money, you need a good computer so you can play those game in the highest frame rate possible. You need a good gaming keyboard and mouse, and headset. 

And finally you need a team, every player must play really good. That's kind of hard to find 4 more people that live near you and want to play at a professional level. But like I always say, follow your dream, never quit!

There was a point last year where I was the third ranked Pokemon Trainer in Canada. Does that count?

I love playing as a competitive player, but it's actually quite hard. Playing the game comeptitively can be really fun at times though. I've tried with League of Legends, but the highest rank that I've gotten was Diamond League. The thing is, playing solo queue on League of Legends makes it sort of hard to determine your actual skill. I mean, it can help you prove and improve your mechanical gaming skills. But other than that, it's kind of hard to tell. If you take League of Legends for example, you really need good team and communication skills to play competitively. It sounded fun in the beginning, but after reading some articles about it, I've sort of turned away from it.

Oh yeah, I've tried several times in several different games. The earliest I remember was when I was quite young, and I used to play CSS all the time. Eventually, I randomly found a pretty serious clan to play with. We did play some clan wars here and there, but to be honest we were far too bad to really get anywhere... I suppose it wasn't actually competitive play, since we didn't enter any tournaments as far as I know, but either way: we were too bad to even win against random clans, so we couldn't really enter any tournaments with that kind of skill.

I also remember being in a DotA 2 clan like a year or two ago, and we did actually enter a few competitive tournaments with real prices. They weren't any big tournaments or anything, just some small ones with pretty small prices, but yeah... We entered some, and we lost very early. We weren't very good, but we gave it a shot. Can't really say that we had much fun either, since we were all so focused on winning we all forgot to have fun. In the world of dota, that problem is quite common. People keep thinking about winning, winning is everything, and they forget to have fun. So... I think it just ended up with us yelling at each other for losing the game, trying to find someone to blame. Even within a group of friends, you start blaming each other for a lost game... It's so sad, but it's reality.

Me and a few friends have a Dota 2 group and we're planning to start taking part of small contests held around our city. If we're going to do good in most of them then we're surely going to take a shot at going big in national tournaments and stuff like that! Some years ago I played in a CS 1.6 (Somehow in my country people still play that game)
but I couldn't get past the qualifiers :/

I've tried multiple times to break into the competitive scene of League of Legends. It takes a lot of work and dedication though. I have joined and left a lot of teams because I just can't make it to every single practice or sometimes I just don't feel like playing. Gives me a whole new perspective on the people at the top of the ladder.

I attended counterstrike 1.6 Lans and played in online leagues. I always try to be the best I can at a game. I have never thought about trying to "go pro" or anything but I don't see it being a problem if you put the time in then you should be able to get to whatever level you want. You just need to never give up until you reach your goal.

I use to be on a COD MW clan and we were hard core. We use to have clan battles and we use to go into regular games and shut people down. We would win 98% of our games. I don't like playing liike that any more though, I will be 40 in October and my reflexes are not as good anymore.

Greg

I always thought that being a competitive gamer would be an awesome career. Then I watched 'Free to Play', the movie Valve made about the 2011 International Dota 2 championships and decided that it, in fact, would be an awful career choice haha. I have a ton of respect for those who can game and make a living off of it, but it just seems like its a huge investment for little return. I'll always enjoy watching competitive StarCraft but there is no way that I'd ever make it myself.

I would really love to be that good at some game but I just don't have the time for it. I have a job, girlfriend and hopefully I'm back to school soon. No time for that kind of gaming!

Yea the farthest I ever got was some qualifying tournaments in League. I got to Diamond is S2 and then D1 50 points S3 but due to combination of either my teammates and I not synergizing as best we could or having a lack of individual skill I never could break into the scene. At one point there was just zero return and almost no progress being made so I decided to stop dedicating all my time to it.

I've actually played Counter-Strike competitively for a few years. I've started playing it in 2004 and a few years later I played in PGL (Professional Gamers League) but I didn't get that far... Anyway, I was pretty good at the time. Other than that, I tried getting really good at Dota but the competition was really strong and I eventually gave up... tried Dota 2 nowadays, but strangely enough I like the modified map for w3 better:grin:.

I used to be kind of competitive in the MW2 days. I did a lot of quick scope matches and I won a large percent of them, now I jut play around with it for fun. I never really got into the Gamebattles stuff, though I tried it a couple times.

I'm pretty competitive myself. But I try to have some fun sometimes. When you get too competitive with the game, you sort of just start to ignore having fun and just play to win. This happened to me many times, and it ruined many games for me.

Back