Anyone playing Pokken Tournament?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
And if so, what do you think of it?

Is it a good game? Is there enough content? What Pokemon do you think are the best ones to play as and why?

Uhm... it doesn't come out until the 18th..? Well, unless your speaking to Japanese arcade players! I any case we'll be getting it release day, downloaded straight to our Wii U!

I am curious but I don't have friends near taht would like to play with me so I can't justify to buy it just because I am curious.
It is quite a crazy crossover than honestly I never dream Nintendo feeling on board. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how well the managed to execute this idea.

I am curious but I don't have friends near taht would like to play with me so I can't justify to buy it just because I am curious.
It is quite a crazy crossover than honestly I never dream Nintendo feeling on board. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how well the managed to execute this idea.
It does have online play, and the single player tournaments and single battles are great fun on their own. Played it a bit tonight, and was delighted to learn I'm unexpectedly good at it, at least compared to my husband who's always kicking my butt at everything! Even switching among pokemon I hadn't even tried yet, I managed to come away with 5 wins to his 2 in local play.

I know absolutely nothing about fighting games besides Smash, so I can't really compare, but I'm loving it so far. Great graphics, smooth controls, easy to get into, seems it'll be fun to master. Even the backgrounds which have various people and pokemon walking around in them are spectacular- there's one arena where you're in a gym, with various gym equipment in it, and Pokemon and Trainers using it. The pokemon and people you see will actually be different each time you go in, which is a really great touch. All the Pokemon's moves look stellar too, and the burst attacks are great, really flashy and fun to watch. The only thing I haven't liked about it is the delays you get while doing the tutorials, they make you wait a bit too long when showing you things to read, which gets a little annoying. If the helper lady gets annoying (she shouts helpful hints while doing single player stuff, like when your support pokemon is charged) you can shut her up in the settings. I was initially really hesitant to get the game when I first saw it, because it's the kind of fighting game I usually suck at, but it's been really approachable for me, and I'd highly recommend it!

I know absolutely nothing about fighting games besides Smash, so I can't really compare, but I'm loving it so far. Great graphics, smooth controls, easy to get into, seems it'll be fun to master. Even the backgrounds which have various people and pokemon walking around in them are spectacular- there's one arena where you're in a gym, with various gym equipment in it, and Pokemon and Trainers using it. The pokemon and people you see will actually be different each time you go in, which is a really great touch. All the Pokemon's moves look stellar too, and the burst attacks are great, really flashy and fun to watch. The only thing I haven't liked about it is the delays you get while doing the tutorials, they make you wait a bit too long when showing you things to read, which gets a little annoying. If the helper lady gets annoying (she shouts helpful hints while doing single player stuff, like when your support pokemon is charged) you can shut her up in the settings. I was initially really hesitant to get the game when I first saw it, because it's the kind of fighting game I usually suck at, but it's been really approachable for me, and I'd highly recommend it!
Interesting. That's why I was scared to get it. I mean I got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the Wii U and played it a handful of times and Street Fighter 4 for the Xbox 360 and played it once. I'm trash at 1 on 1 fighting game, but from the way you put it, it sounds like it's easier. Are the move combos also easy? Because the ones in Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are insane and hard to remember, even with the combo list.

Interesting. That's why I was scared to get it. I mean I got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the Wii U and played it a handful of times and Street Fighter 4 for the Xbox 360 and played it once. I'm trash at 1 on 1 fighting game, but from the way you put it, it sounds like it's easier. Are the move combos also easy? Because the ones in Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are insane and hard to remember, even with the combo list.
Yeah, the combos you can pull off are way more straightforward then other games I've tried. It's got a basic triangle of moves that do well against other types of moves that easy to understand, and your moves will all flow together fairly well, even if you're button mashing at the very beginning, which lets you learn and not be overly frustrated. I feel like it's a great intro to fighting games.

Thanks a lot. What you have said actually makes the game way more appealing.

Oh, there's also a training section that will walk you through everything, and even through each individual pokemon's movesets to let you practice. So there's that too! The only thing about the tutorials I've been annoyed with is for some reason there's a time limit when it wants you to perform the action?? I don't understand why, and it'll just finish the tutorial right then and there if you don't manage it. There's an advanced move set one I was doing yesterday and ran out of time while I was trying to get the thing to work, and it sent me back to the tutorial selection screen and marked it as complete. I don't get why.... I mean, why would you put a time limit in the tutorials? But in any case, you can do them over and over.

I want this, but they're selling it full price. I know it's Pokemon, but I've never understood putting a fighting game full price. Though, I also feel the same for sports games. The content just doesn't seem like it would be worth $60. I'll wait until the price is lowered for sure.

There's an advanced move set one I was doing yesterday and ran out of time while I was trying to get the thing to work, and it sent me back to the tutorial selection screen and marked it as complete.
Kind of weird taht not only sent you back but marked it complete. It sounds like the kind of patronising we'd get as kids when our teachers got tired of our attempts. "Here, have a star. Let's move on".

That said having a training mode to practice and better understand the game's dynamics is pretty good.

Well, looks like Shadow Mewtwo is broken in this game:

He can basically stunlock any character till they fall over KOed. Hope Nintendo fixes this one...

I've been playing it quite often and have my Suicune at max level. I really enjoy the game and do have my complaints about how certain moves work in terms of balance but it's a fantastic game that runs infinitely better than smash's online mode. I can see DLC emerging in the near future for this title.

See you on Ranked VS! I go by Porkman online there as I do here.

Well, looks like Shadow Mewtwo is broken in this game:

He can basically stunlock any character till they fall over KOed. Hope Nintendo fixes this one...
Darn, that is bad. :(
I hope it gets patched.

Back