Anyone seen the Kim Cattral ad campaign?

Audacity

Awards
Credits
This was kind of unexpected, kinda funny, ... and a little weird. I've seen it on tv a few times now, and I was in a shop today that had a stand of Mario games with a cutout of Kim Cattral on it. Seems to be a fairly high-profile campaign.

Nintendo have been pretty savvy at expanding into new markets, so I'll be interested to see how this works out for them.

Sex and the City was hugely influential at popularizing trends back when they were still making it. They could certainly sell shoes, dresses and handbags. Video games might be a bit of stretch, but it's a gutsy move.

At the same time you have to wonder what kids will make of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know who Kim Cattrall is. All I know is that her way of saying Mario is kind of annoying.

It'll probably appeal to all the old-ish people. Which is fair enough, because hey, if they buy one, the kids will want one, and then they'll end up buying two.

Maybe. I don't know how marketing works. But yeah, Mah-reo is a little weird. I'm more of a Marrr-reo kind of person.

I have no idea what this is.

But I can't believe what I just saw. Sex and the City plus goddamn Mario 3D Land.

"Me and the girls have started a intretrest in video games. They like a man named Mario,but I have a soft spot for the blue hedgehog."

Bleh i hate how she breathes out "Mary-oh" I wouldn't like to see her cutout next to the games aisle, it would scare me off. I don't know why, but the 3Ds looks bigger in her hands when she stuck it in her bag/purse thing (I hope she had streetpass on, i never get streetpassed by anyone except my brother...)

Teehee.

I actually think it is neat. I like marketing that reaches out to women in effective ways rather than pigeon-holing them like certain other companies do. For example, when Xbox tried a marketing campaign at my college for women it was the most laughable and staged video game event of the year. They kept giving free stuff to just the girls and only took pictures that cut out most of the guys in the room. Only 10 girls showed up (80 guys were there), but you would never know from the marketing materials made afterwards.

Yeah, this is pretty funny... but then, nothing to write home about, either.

This is not so much about the star of "Sex and the CIty" doing a Nintendo commercial, though, this is more about just another celebrity doing a Nintendo commercial.

Bleh i hate how she breathes out "Mary-oh" I wouldn't like to see her cutout next to the games aisle, it would scare me off. I don't know why, but the 3Ds looks bigger in her hands when she stuck it in her bag/purse thing (I hope she had streetpass on, i never get streetpassed by anyone except my brother...)

yeah, I hope she streetpasses you. the saucy minx.

... that'd be weird, lol.

Teehee.

I actually think it is neat. I like marketing that reaches out to women in effective ways rather than pigeon-holing them like certain other companies do.

I know what you mean. Nintendo's marketing has been pretty effective at confounding the stereotypes.

To be honest, I find it annoying when people call him "Mawr-io". The 'a' should be the same sound as in 'Marry'. Not as in 'Car'.
It should be "Marry-oh", not "Mar-yo". Heck people almost make it sound like "More-yo".

To be honest, I find it annoying when people call him "Mawr-io". The 'a' should be the same sound as in 'Marry'. Not as in 'Car'.
It should be "Marry-oh", not "Mar-yo". Heck people almost make it sound like "More-yo".

Why does Mario himself say "It's-a me, Mario! With the 'mar' bit sounding like the 'car'"? Unless if I didn't get what you were saying.

In which case, carry on... *shifty eyes*

But also as Audacity said, different accents.

Back