Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Another piece of software retires to the pages of history.

Originally a part of the AOL Desktop internet suite, the IM became much more popular once it was split off into a separate download of its own. At the time it was in competition with Microsoft's MSN Instant Messenger service, Yahoo! Messenger, and ICQ.

It's been around since the 1990s, which the way we communicate these days is the reason for its retirement.

I used AIM in the past. It is too bad that AIM never found a way to be a good alternative to Skype.

I remember using MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo! Messenger back then (all 3 no longer exist, lel), but I never heard about AOL or AIM until somewhere late 2008 or solith, when some Americans occasionally mentioned it.
And I think it was when nobody really cared about both any more any way.

(Just looked up the AOL site, their web design is an enormous mess.)

I'm so gonna miss this program. :(

Rip. AIM 1990s to 2017

It's too bad that AOL could not find a new owner for AIM since there maybe some people who still use AIM, or may need to find the contact information like e-mail of AIM users which they talked to in the past.

But, AOL is now owned by Verizon which is a cell phone service company which may not like AIM since people used to use AIM instead of cell phone text messaging which requires you to pay money to text people on the cell phone network unlike AIM where it is ad-supported, and everyone can use it for free to text, voice, and video chat with people while looking at a banner ad at the bottom of the program.

hrmmm, maybe you're right. It's been ages since I last did any IM.

I have also not been actively using IM in ages since forums and blogs are more fun, and convenient as a way to talk to people about different topics.

I been using Discord a bit more than forums at late as well. Maybe Discord could be the new IM?

I think a lot of people still use Direct messages and Private Messages in social networking sites and forums like Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Forums. Mobile based instant messengers like WhatsApp, iMessage, Google Hangouts, etc are also popular because people are always using their phones, but don't want to pay the expensive texting prices.

Never heard of it but it's sad to see another one retire. I hope it would reopen sometime after finding a new owner for AIM

Back