froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Apple spent a long time comparing the new, smaller iPad Pro to the similarly-sized iPad Air 2. They rattled off stat after stat that showed vast improvements. But there's one department were the two are identical. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro packs just 2GB of RAM. That's the same amount as the iPad Air 2, and half the amount that the larger iPad Pro features. This was discovered by Matthew Panzarino of Tech Crunch.

Read More

I feel 4-8 GB of RAM should be the minimum amount of RAM when buying an expensive device like the iPad Pro.

I think I'll tell this to my tech teacher and watch him die of laughter.

Sounds about right of Apple put prices up higher and hardware features lower.

Damn that's one expensive apple, and aren't going to make me full up :p what Apple needs to do is partner with orange

If this iPad Pro lasts for many years longer than the average tablet with Windows, and Android tablet, this iPad Pro maybe worth it for its durability and long lasting life.

There are still a lot of iPad users who use the original iPad 1, and iPad 2 which came out in 2010 for the iPad and 2011 for the iPad 2 because the iPad is usually better constructed. I read on a blog that the iPad 2 is so long lasting that it is still one of the most popular versions of the iPad.

One of the benefits of owning an iPad is that you continue to get operating system, and app updates after many years.

I just don't see the need for a smaller iPad Pro. At least the original iPod Pro was big because it was designed to be a "pro" version of the iPad, suited for professionals using the device for things that the regular iPad or Mini wouldn't be. The step down in RAM just makes it seem unnecessary.

Also, 5 unique iPads is too many.

Maybe they improved iOS and made it so light that it doesn't need more than 2GB of RAM to run fast.

I think most users who will buy the smaller iPad Pro with 2 GB of RAM would be satisfied with its performance because most people use tablets for watching video, social networking, mobile gaming, and basic photo editing. I read an article on a blog that said iOS hibernate/freezes unused apps still open in the background, so iOS won't slow down even when users have other apps open at the same time.

The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus has 2GB of RAM, and it still runs pretty quickly for a mobile device, so the new iPad Pro should run as fast or faster than the iPhone 6S because the iPad Pro's CPU and video chip may be set to a higher speed to use more intensive apps like photo editors at a higher speed.

Maybe they improved iOS and made it so light that it doesn't need more than 2GB of RAM to run fast.

I was going to make that point. Apple has made iOS and Mac OS X so efficient that it does not need as much memory to run fast. However, you are supposed to be buying a desktop-class tablet. It should have more RAM.

If we think about it, they do charge over two thousand dollars for Macbooks that have 4 GB of RAM, when you can buy a PC with 16 GB of RAM for the same price. It's Apple. They know people will buy their stuff no matter how underpowered it is.

If we think about it, they do charge over two thousand dollars for Macbooks that have 4 GB of RAM, when you can buy a PC with 16 GB of RAM for the same price. It's Apple. They know people will buy their stuff no matter how underpowered it is.

iOS, and Mac OS X probably cost Apple a lot of money to constantly maintain, and release new updates on a regular basis. I read the technical support for Apple products is generally better than most PC companies tech support which sometimes make you wait a long time for them to fix your computer, or your computer was not fix, and they sent it back to you even when it was not fixed. Apple probably spends a lot of money on technical support as well, so it needs to increase the cost of its products to pay for better technical workers.

I think a lot of people buy Apple products after they had a very bad experience with Technical Support from a PC Manufacture, PC Repair Technician, Microsoft, PC Store which sold PCs, or PC Parts company. Apple is the only popular PC/Windows alternative for less tech savvy users.

People buy apple products for a variety of reasons. Some like them because they think they're cool. Others buy them because all their friends did. Others yet bought them because of certain features. Others still just follow trends. Some people are just super-fans and apple could sell them literal shit on a stick and they'd buy it.

As for apple being better at fixing things... given how tightly they control the hardware they better be good at fixing it. But at the same time, in the past their staff have been pretty atrocious. (Note that I'm using an archive.is link instead of the regular one because the article was written by sam "bring bullying back" biddle of gawker "fame".)

That said, this is pretty bad that they're cheaping out like this. Seriously wouldn't cost that much more for them to up their device's ram to 4GB.

According to replys on http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-17378.php , the iPad Pro 9.7 inch uses newer DDR4 RAM Format instead of the older DDR3 RAM format which could be the reason for Apple to use 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB DDR4 RAM like the 13 inch iPad Pro. DDR4 RAM is faster, but also more expensive. Apple probably does not want to earn less money by including 4GB of DDR4 RAM, or use slower 4GB of cheaper DDR3 RAM which may make the performance slightly slower. Also, fewer people are willing to pay over $700 for a tablet even if it has 4GB of DDR4 RAM, and Apple does not want to earn less money by selling an iPad with 4GB DDR4 RAM for $700 like the current iPad Pro 9.7 inch with 2GB of RAM.

I think one of the advantages of owning an iPad and iPhone is that there are parts companies which still continue make replacement parts like touchscreens, batteries, lightning ports, logic board, and cameras for older iPhones and iPads because of the large amount of iOS users. There are also a lot of phone repair stores which know how to fix iPhones and iPads if you don't want to fix your older iPhone or iPad at the Apple Store because it is too expensive, or if there is no Apple Store close to where you live.

Well, the fact that they made their video chatting program (Facetime) available only for iOS and OSX is a way to force people to follow the trend because... if all your friends use Facetime, but all you have is Skype, you're gonna feel left out...

I think it is possible to run OS X an iOS in an emulator/virtual machine program, so if you just want to use Facetime without buying a Mac, or iOS device, you can run iOS or OS X as a virtual machine in a PC with an iOS or OS X virtual machine installed on it.

Reactions: lb
I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me. I'm gonna give it a try.

I didn't know it was possible, too until I read a post about it on a tech blog.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube which are about running iOS and OS X on a Windows PC with a virtual machine,

Back