froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling

I wonder if the microchip shortage is one of the reasons for Apple discontinuing iPod. The iPod Touch look like a decent portable iOS player for using iOS apps and playing iOS games if you can't afford an iPhone, and iPad.

RIP iPod

It’s been well known that the iPod has been selling poorly for several years now. You’d be surprised at how many people didn’t know they were still being sold.

Yeah, had no idea that it was still a thing. I had an iPod Nano 6th (or 7th) generation and it was awesome. But I can see why they stopped it, just no point in having one since our phones have the same functionality.

I thought iPod went extinct 7 years ago!

Most anything with an internet connection or portable memory would work as an iPod so I'm sure it seems trivial to have them existing for any longer than what they do now. Since Phones and portable game consoles can do the same thing it's a worthy sacrifice.

I thought iPod went extinct 7 years ago!
Yes and there is no reason to own one now.
Most anything with an internet connection or portable memory would work as an iPod so I'm sure it seems trivial to have them existing for any longer than what they do now. Since Phones and portable game consoles can do the same thing it's a worthy sacrifice.
I agree it is a worthy sacrifice as like you said phones and portable game consoles can do the same thing the the iPod did.

Most people also stream everything, so only weirdos like me care about MP3’s. Also most data plans are cheap, so a wifi only device for listening to music is a mostly dated concept.

Yes and there is no reason to own one now.
I wouldn’t say no reason, just an incredibly niche product. I still have a touch and a classic.

Most people also stream everything, so only weirdos like me care about MP3’s. Also most data plans are cheap, so a wifi only device for listening to music is a mostly dated concept.

I wouldn’t say no reason, just an incredibly niche product. I still have a touch and a classic.
And I figure making a different file type for higher-quality recordings is out of the question. I can sometimes hear the quality of MP3 files over time and I have to stop listening.

And I figure making a different file type for higher-quality recordings is out of the question. I can sometimes hear the quality of MP3 files over time and I have to stop listening.
Lossless files have been a thing for decades. All of the major streaming platforms use lossy files like MP3. Spotify charges you extra to play MP3’s at like 320 kbps instead of 128.

Though the quality of the actual mixing/mastering is more important than the bitrate of the file. An over compressed album that’s clipping will sound like shit on every format it’s on. Sadly most modern mainstream albums since the mid-2000’s are poorly mixed due to the loudness war.

I feel some people who were planning to buy an iPod may now buy a new or used Apple Watch for listening to MP3s and using some Apple Watch Apps and games if they don't always want to carry around an iPhone or iPad when exercising or not wearing clothing with pockets.

I feel some people who were planning to buy an iPod may now buy a new or used Apple Watch for listening to MP3s and using some Apple Watch Apps and games if they don't always want to carry around an iPhone or iPad when exercising or not wearing clothing with pockets.
It didn’t take discontinuing the iPod for people to do that. Or if you’re already talking about buying used products, they could also just buy a used iPod.

Back