Apple raising the price of apps in 7 countries within 72 hours due to exchange rates

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Following fluctuations in exchange rates, Apple has informed developers today that it’s planning to change App Store pricing in a number of countries within the next 72 hours.

For users in New Zealand, Israel, Russia, Singapore, South Africa and Mexico the app pricing tiers will change by a small margin, which will include in-app purchases.

In Canada, the lowest pricing tier will now start at $1.39 CAD, up from $1.19 CAD in September 2015.

The higher-priced tiers see the most impact, with prices that were formerly $50.00 CAD now $69.99 CAD.

Read More

This is disappointing for app buyers, but at least the increase is only 20 cents, so it is not a huge deal to people who only buy a few paid games, or apps a year.

I bet, Apple may end up losing more money from people who may think more before buying an app since more people are more willing to spend $1.00 without really caring about spending $1.00 on an App. $1.39 doesn't sound like a good price. I bet, if Apple made apps $1.25 more people will buy paid apps instead of a $1.39.

Apple shouldn't do this since they could easily afford the lost in money price.

Apple shouldn't do this since they could easily afford the lost in money price.

To be fair, if the apps are cheaper, app and game app makers like Gameloft, Nintendo's DeNA, Sega and SquareEnix may make less money on Apps since it can cost a lot of money to make a high quality mobile game or port an older console game like Final Fantasy game like Final Fantasy 3 to iPhone and iPad.

I think Apple takes about 30% of the revenue from paid apps, and the App maker earns 70% of the revenue from paid apps.

Back