froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think computers with SSDs can be more reliable on laptops where users are more likely to drop or throw a laptop in the air because of an accident or poor handling of the laptop. Some SSDs maybe more water resistant if it has a plastic case which protects the SSD. I read stories of SD cards surviving water damage like floods, and SD cards are very similar to SSDs.

But, I think SSDs installed in desktop computers may not be much more reliable than hard drives installed in a desktop PC, or a computer which rarely gets moved except when moving homes. I own many desktop computers with regular hard drives, and all my hard drives still work after many years of use, and I don't hear a lot of stories of people's hard drives failing often compared to other problems like a virus breaking Windows.

SSDs don't move, and produce less heat, so they may last longer. But, hard drives move, and produce more heat, and still last for many years even when installed in devices like laptop, game consoles like the PS3 and PS4 where airflow may not be as good as a large desktop PC.

I pretty much agree on everything the less heat, I installed a 1 TB SSD into my laptop (granted its thin so not a whole lot of room), but it generated a really bad heat right in between my touch pad and keyboard, I had to get a cooling fan for my laptop to keep it from overheating.

I pretty much agree on everything the less heat, I installed a 1 TB SSD into my laptop (granted its thin so not a whole lot of room), but it generated a really bad heat right in between my touch pad and keyboard, I had to get a cooling fan for my laptop to keep it from overheating.

Does the SSD always heat up even when there is not a lot of reading and writing of data?

I'll have to look at my laptop's bios to see if its possible.

Some motherboard and video card makers have Windows software for controlling the fan speed of the computer with a fan speed controller software, and there are other settings for overclocking the CPU and video card.

Back