Are Electric cars used by some car dealers to get buyers to a car dealers to buy gas cars?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think some car dealers may mainly put an electric car in their dealership to get people to come into look at an electric car.

Electric cars maybe helping car dealers sell more gas cars by getting curious people into their car dealer because the person just wanted to see the electric car. But, the salesman convince the person to buy a gas car instead of electric car. Some people may of ended up buying a gas car from a car dealer which also sell electric cars because of their interest in electric cars, but got disappointed after seeing the more expensive price of an electric car and long recharge time for the battery.

The dealership sales staff may prefer gas cars, so they are more likely to say good things about gas cars instead of the electric car they are selling.

Some car dealer may rather recommend that the buyer buy a gas car instead of an electric car because the buyer can't afford an electric car, the buyer travels very long distances where owning a electric car with lower range and slow charge time is not a good choice, the buyer does not have enough time to charge an electric car. The dealer would more likely recommend a cheaper gas car instead of buying a electric car or walking out without buying a car.

Car dealers earn a lot of money from performing buyers gas car engine maintenance like oil changes, air filter changes, coolant changes, and replacing the many parts like exhaust in gas cars.

But, most electric cars does not require as much maintenance every year or few years, so car dealers may not make as much money on electric car repairs as gas cars. Some electric car owners may re-sell their electric car to a used car dealer if the battery, and electrical system is too expensive to fix rather than fixing the car like gas car owners who are willing to spend a few hundred to thousand of dollars on repairs.

I feel car dealers may earn more money selling gas cars because most average gas cars don't require very expensive car parts like big Lithium-Ion batteries, powerful electric motors, better electrical wiring, and computers. But, gas cars are still sold for high prices to earn more money.

Last edited:
Now that's a rather unique strategy but quite efficient.
I do think that is the case. It's easy for people to get manipulated when they have choices after all.

I agree people are easily manipulated when there are many choices sort of like how some buyers were planning to buy a more affordable gas car, but the dealer convince them to buy a more expensive faster luxury car and extra features like a car DVD player which they don't want or need.

Possible, depending on deals between them.

I feel electric cars are also used by gas car dealers to get people in the dealer to convince people to sell the dealer their old gas cars for a few hundred dollars for an older gas car, and the dealer latter resell their used car for many thousands of dollars to used car buyers.

Back