Are most cheap computers considered disposable/throwaway internet computers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think most cheap computers these days can be categorize as disposable internet computers which you throwaway when they break or become too slow. Sometimes simple PC repairs can be expensive where you can buy a new computer if you spend a little more money. Buying a used fully-functional computer off eBay or Craigslist which maybe cheaper than the repairs.

Most people probably use cheap $35 (Raspberry Pi) and $200 computers to use the internet, listening to music and office work. These users maybe more likely to buy a new computer if repair cost more than $50 at a repair store, the computer repair takes many hours to repair, or the PC is getting too slow to use at a usable speed.

I feel people in western countries like new things rather than keep using their old cheap things like computers.

If you pay about $250 for most computers then yes, they are throwaways.

You know what? if you buy 1 laptop per year, pay to say $250 each, over 4 years that's $1K spent on laptops. I wonder if you go and buy a $1K laptop it would last the same amount of time or even longer? It would also depend on the brand as well and how you look after it.

You know what? if you buy 1 laptop per year, pay to say $250 each, over 4 years that's $1K spent on laptops. I wonder if you go and buy a $1K laptop it would last the same amount of time or even longer? It would also depend on the brand as well and how you look after it.

A 1k laptop? Hrmm, mostly depends on how well you take care of it.

I had a few $200 laptops which still work after a few years. But, I mainly use them for web browsing, word processing, and basic tasks at home. They are slow, but almost never overheat because the CPU and video chip runs at a slow speed where the computers slows down before it can overheat. I think the Intel Celeron and similar AMD CPU are designed to be installed in devices with no active cooling fans, or very slow spinning cooling fans, so they won't overheat even at its maximum speed.

One of the good things about $200 laptops is fewer robbers want to steal it compared to an Apple Macbook Pro or Alienware Gaming Laptop when you use it in a public place like the library or the park.

Plus, you are only losing $200 if someone steals it, spills a drink like soda or coffee onto it. There is always a chance that something hard like a yo-yo, marble, or fidget spinner hits your laptop, and breaks the screen. Replacing a $200 laptop is probably cheaper than the repair cost to repair your $1000 laptop's screen which has a cracked screen, and damaged motherboard if something very heavy is dropped on it.

The battery on some $1000 laptops sometimes can't hold as much power after a year or more of daily use, so your battery life becomes worse over time. Many $1000 laptops like the Apple Macbook don't have batteries which are easy to remove, and the official replacement batteries cost a lot where most users pick to buy a new laptop which has better performance if their laptop is older, or use an older operating system like Windows 8.

Well of course... Many people give importance to money than the true working value for an object.
I don't buy cheap stuff for various reasons though

Back