Are new cheap computers slower than older average computers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think a lot of newer cheap computers being sold these days are $100-250 mini computers and laptops which maybe slower than most older average computers from a few years a go. I think new mini computers which cost under $200 mostly come with mobile Intel 1.4 GHz Celeron/Atom CPUs, or smartphone CPUs from Chinese companies, 1-2GB of RAM, 16-32GB of storage, and onboard video built-into the mobile CPU.

The cheapest average computer you can buy at a store like BestBuy or RadioShack in the past was a $400-500 desktop computers. These average computers came with a Intel Core i3, Celeron or AMD 1.8-3.0+ GHz CPU, 3-4 GB RAM, 400-500 GB hard drive, and onboard Intel HD or AMD Radeon graphics chips which can play some older games at medium and low quality settings.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised, they don't make money if the laptops last for years.

I wouldn't be surprised, they don't make money if the laptops last for years.

A lot of those cheaper laptops run out of space pretty quickly after installing a few programs, and storing a few files. Plus, 1-2 GB of RAM on cheaper Windows and Android computers is not enough RAM to use them at a usable speed.

Cheaper laptops may last years, but users may not want to use them for years because of its low disk storage space, and poor performance because of not having enough RAM like 1GB, and a slow CPU like an Intel Atom CPU or slower Chinese CPU like Allwinner and RockChip which are slower than most older average Desktop CPUs like the Intel Core i3.

I think in the past, PC companies cared more about releasing higher quality laptops and desktops which were fast enough to use for most tasks instead of creating more affordable $100-200 slower computer to sell to many people with less money like kids, teens, and the unemployed.

Back