Are people poor because they keep buying the latest thing?

No, people are poor because of the value of our money and a many other things. The governments directly control our currency value. If they increased the value of our money, people would be able to buy more with their money.

Also reallocating our taxes to things that would help the lower class live a better standard of life is essential in any nation that wants to work for equality. People should be able to buy the things they want. Now when it comes to getting things that are really out of budget, if they make themselves poor for that reason then it's their fault.

I don't think that's necessarily the main reason, for example, I live in México and the financial situation here is not the best, mostly because there aren't really well-paid jobs for the most of us, I think that's the main reason for poverty here. But on the other hand, I have heard so many stories about people who bought things that they couldn't afford and they lost everything in order to those debts... I think that "poverty" this is a consequence of consumerism, but poverty itself has to do a lot with the quality of life in your country, I guess.

Also reallocating our taxes to things that would help the lower class live a better standard of life is essential in any nation that wants to work for equality. People should be able to buy the things they want.

I can see where your coming from with the first sentiment, but people should be able to buy what they want? I don't follow, that's a bit o an entitled starting point. Economically speaking we actually want tax dollars spent on investments in our own infrastructure, education, roads, and technology. No the way we go about investing in these areas is just as crucial.

I don't think that buying the latest and greatest is solely the problem, but taking for granted the option to go without is the mindset responsible. I still use an Iphone 4, I personally have a mid-tier computer that's awful at most gaming, and I'm trying to get through college debt free. I do spend money on hobbies, but I try to weigh every purchase in the context of how much money I have free and upcoming expenses.

I can see where your coming from with the first sentiment, but people should be able to buy what they want? I don't follow, that's a bit o an entitled starting point.

Well what I'm saying is that there are going to always be people who judge. I might go out and purchase a shirt for $50 dollars, and you might be biased about that and make a statement like "That's why your poor". When I say that people should be able to buy what they want, I mean that anyone out there who can afford to get something should be able to buy it without putting themselves in a poorer situation.

Many people are not capable of getting the things they need these days, and it's not their fault. It's national policy that brings down the value of our currency, and when someone who is already struggling to get buy has to deal with inflation 3 or 4 times threw out the year, it's not their fault.

They should be able to go and get the things they want, financially we can live a better quality of life in this country but we have a government that controls out dollar value which will directly control what one should or shouldn't purchase because it might make them poorer.

Purchasing a lot until you drain your savings to zero don't necessarily make you poor. What makes you really poor is your inability to produce any wealth with using your own skills or talents. I know engineers that pretty much blows up most of their living wage's money in drinking and leisure, but they are not poor at all. Of course, is unwise to not put some % of your earnings on saving, but even if they lose the job, they can find another or begin a business depending of how good they are.

Taxation also contributes to reduce the wealth made by a person. But in an ideal scenario, the exchange to make you poorer is to increase the quality of life. Is a shame that in reality, a good chunk of tax money is wasted in some useless bureaucracy and inefficient services. And even corruption in certain circumstances.

There are a variety of reasons why people are poor. One of which is the working poor. Well intentioned and hard working folks who, for a variety of reasons, can't seem to make it to middle class. They work very hard every day to try to support their kids. My father was one such person. He worked over 50 hours a week and still could not afford dental care or doctor insurance as it would have taken food from us. So, in this case, you don't buy sweets for your kids, give them healthy food and pray that they stay healthy. Yet, from this working poor family where neither of my parents were able to graduate high school since they had to help at home, 2 out of the 6 children have college degrees, 2 other children make six figure incomes, all provide for their families and all but one own their own homes.

Well what I'm saying is that there are going to always be people who judge. I might go out and purchase a shirt for $50 dollars, and you might be biased about that and make a statement like "That's why your poor". When I say that people should be able to buy what they want, I mean that anyone out there who can afford to get something should be able to buy it without putting themselves in a poorer situation.

Many people are not capable of getting the things they need these days, and it's not their fault. It's national policy that brings down the value of our currency, and when someone who is already struggling to get buy has to deal with inflation 3 or 4 times threw out the year, it's not their fault.

They should be able to go and get the things they want, financially we can live a better quality of life in this country but we have a government that controls out dollar value which will directly control what one should or shouldn't purchase because it might make them poorer.

Okay I can understand that, as a saver I've been guilty at laughing at others purchasing habits before (mainly my siblings), but I can appreciate that everyone has different proprieties for their spending and many factors outside of one's control influence the situation they face financially.

I believe there are numerous factors contributing to so many people living below or near the poverty line. It seems to be part of the American culture to always have the latest gadgets and technologies, even for the poorest of the poor. To think that isn't a contributing factor to the economic situation is naive.

I think not keeping up with technology can also make people poor because not knowing how to use the internet, computer, smartphone, tablet, and power tools like an electrical drill would limit a workers job opportunities because they don't have the necessary skills needed to do a job.

Low wages, fewer well paying jobs, rising prices for food, utilities, and services like internet access, and high taxes for the poor and middle class could be a bigger reason for people being poor.

Lol I know people who exchange stuff with the latest model...even though it's unnecessary. I don't really blame them as it's their choice...but not all of them are like that. I don't usually exchange my stuff with the latest versions.
So, I am not so sure about how to answer this.

I think some people have less money because they spend their money on old things like classic cars, antiques, rare old artwork, old coins, old houses, retro video games and toys which can cost a lot of money.

But, they can also end up being rich if the old things like their classic car collection they bought end up being worth a lot of money in the future, and they sold their valuable old things.

Not really, though I guess there's a small percentage of the population with poor understanding of costs and finance.

But for the most part, I'd say it's along the lines of:

A. Having a job that doesn't pay too well, because protections and wages for workers are worse/lower than they should be.

B. The prices of things like housing and transport being brutal for those with low wages

C. As well as cheaper products generally breaking more quickly/not lasting as long, meaning that they're stuck replacing the cheap stuff on a regular basis (while those with more cash are just buying things as a one off).

A bit yes. But most people is not financially educated so I think that's why they are poor. Just because they are expecting paycheck at the end of month they go all out and spend their cash.

I think the high cost of college may also make some people poor because some people can't afford to payback their student loans if they can't find a job after graduation because they did poorly in their job interviews, and failed to impress their interviewer.

Some people are too poor to attend college or technical school to get a diploma to get a higher paying job like a nurse, teacher, plumber, computer technical support, and electrician compared to working at a lower paying job like fast food worker, and cashier for most or all their working life.

I think it'll be a good idea to avoid loan. Because of the high interest. The student may do business or part time and when the time is right and he saved some money he should then proceed to college.

I agree it is best to avoid high interest loans.

Trying to get a scholarship, financial aid for poor students, and working part time can be a good option for helping people pay for school.

I agree it is best to avoid high interest loans.

Trying to get a scholarship, financial aid for poor students, and working part time can be a good option for helping people pay for school.

Recently I found a video about a girl whose parent told that she should not go to college. Her parents taught him business, the girl has now a big business and profit. If and only if all parents are like that, supporting their child, then I think there would less students that are broke/can't find a proper job.

Recently I found a video about a girl whose parent told that she should not go to college. Her parents taught him business, the girl has now a big business and profit. If and only if all parents are like that, supporting their child, then I think there would less students that are broke/can't find a proper job.

That is a good idea. I think more people should give business a try, but I feel some people feel only a few people are successful at running business because there are also many people who fail at running a business because of different reasons like laziness and lack of skills.

That is a good idea. I think more people should give business a try, but I feel some people feel only a few people are successful at running business because there are also many people who fail at running a business because of different reasons like laziness and lack of skills.

True there are lot of people who is lazy. They thought if they read a thick business book, or study a skill for years and months. They want already to produce some big amount of cash. They don't want to start from scratch, start from penny. They want instant gratification and get real rich quickly.

Back