Are Web browser OS like Chrome OS the only limited operating systems which most users try to use?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I feel web browser OS like Chrome OS are the only more limited and restrictive operating systems which most users want to use because web browsers can now run websites with online versions of programs like MS Office 365, Google Docs, video players on YouTube, and simple image editors. There are also many web browser games and chat websites which work for web browsers.

But, other more limited operating systems like Internet of Things OS, Server OS, and command line operating systems like MS-DOS, and Linux OS with a command line user interface can be too limited or hard to use for most people.

Very basic Operating systems that don't have a web browser, file manager, or software/app store may also be too hard to use because many users don't know how to download software from the command line programs like command prompts, and scripts.

iOS is rather a limited OS, and macOS is slowly heading into that direction too.
And once Win32 support is all gone, I feel the same will happen with Windows as well.
Android in a sense is limited too, despite Google giving quite a lot of freedom for a mobile OS, it's still far from what I can consider "full control", even with root access (which by the way is heavily discouraged on any actual Linux distribution).

But the irony that you brought up using an OS with just a CLI is that I was creating a new Discord bot yesterday, and pressed CTRL + Alt + F1 in order to temporarily ditch the GUI and go all the way command line only while programming it.
I love working in a command line only environment far more than in a graphical environment, but commonly you have to do stuff that simply requires the use of a GUI, like YouTube or Discord.

As for not knowing how to download stuff with a command line, how hard is it to simply do:
Code:
wget {WEB ADDRESS HERE}.{extension}

As for not knowing how to download stuff with a command line, how hard is it to simply do:
Code:

I think there would be PC users who may get confuse by

Code:

because they don't know what is wget is, and they never use a command line user interface in the past.

I think there would be PC users who may get confuse by

Code:

because they don't know what is wget is, and they never use a command line user interface in the past.
When I used a middle school computer for the first time, I had no idea what Internet Explorer was, got confused by the "open" the super limited command line, and I never used a Windows OS before that.
Does that mean I had to be shielded away from even trying to use any of these entirely?

When I used a middle school computer for the first time, I had no idea what Internet Explorer was, got confused by the "open" the super limited command line, and I never used a Windows OS before that.
Does that mean I had to be shielded away from even trying to use any of these entirely?

I meet a few people who are unwilling to try new things on a computer, and don't want to use most modern electronics. I think people who use a computer maybe more willing to try how to use command line if they are interested in trying new ways of doing tasks like downloading files by using wget.

You do not need to be shielded away even trying to use any of these entirely. It is your choice to use a Windows PC, Internet Exporer, and the limited command line.

There are people who choose not to use command lines, and it can be hard to convince them of the convenience and speed of a command line user interface.

You do not need to be shielded away even trying to use any of these entirely. It is your choice to use a Windows PC, Internet Exporer, and the limited command line.

There are people who choose not to use command lines, and it can be hard to convince them of the convenience and speed of a command line user interface.
It actually wasn't my choice, middle school only offered that, so I had to use that.
But I understand people being unwilling to try new things, because why fix something that's not broken?
I too have noticed recently that older computer hardware is often more reliable than newer ones, it's really sad.

It actually wasn't my choice, middle school only offered that, so I had to use that.
But I understand people being unwilling to try new things, because why fix something that's not broken?
I too have noticed recently that older computer hardware is often more reliable than newer ones, it's really sad.

I had to learn how to use an older school computer with Mac OS and a black and white screen

I think most people who are afraid of using new things because they think some new things break more easily, and are less reliable. There are people who keep using older things like FM Radio, flip cell phone and land-line home phones where they don't have to worry about virus infections and spyware from apps.

Older computes do seem to last longer where I see older computers from over 10 years ago still being used at public places like banks and libraries.

Back