Are you going to get the Nintendo 3DS XL?

Are you going to get the Nintendo 3DS XL?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Yes, probably (maybe later on).

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • No, probably not.

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Definitely not!

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
I'm glad my post was usefulmtomall of you
smile.gif
I wonder how much you can trade then 3ds up to for the XL. I'm curious. Also, you can transfer all of your data to the new one by using the system transfer option. I'm sure your game store will allow you to do a system transfer after purchase with your old system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shan't be getting one, for two main reasons:
1)It's too big to carry in my pocket.
2)The screen size is bigger, but the resolution is exactly the same, meaning that the 3DS XL will have a picture that is far less crisp and sharp than the original 3DS (this was the main reason I didn't buy the DSi XL; I found the blown-up picture almost unplayable).

Any of you played Pokemon B/W on the DSi XL? Did that same ppl tried playing the same game on the 3DS? It looks like crap. Making me think that Pokemon B/W was made for the XL and not the smaller screens. All other regular DS game look way batter on the XL than on the DS/i. Also I don't take my portables to work and I play them at home, so the bigger the screens the better for me. Also as programmer said, the 3D effects on this thing will look amazing.

I'm going to reserve judgement on this for now...I only went as far as the DS Lite when my original's touchscreen broke...I never felt the need to get the DSi versions. I do like the concept of massive screens, but I have a feeling that unless my 3DS somehow breaks, that draw on its own won't be enough to convince me to buy it. It's just not worth the money in my mind when I still have a completely working system that does everything I need. Better 3D rendering is interesting, but not enough to warrant having two working systems that do the same things.

I wonder whether they will do a 3DS XL limited edition....

A Zelda-themed one, a Mario-themed one, etc.

So many questions!!

I can't believe this is coming out in 1 month already (I was expecting it to be released for the Holiday Season 2012, maybe)!! The summer just got a lot better for me...
smile.gif

Maybe the Super Mario Bros. 2 will be bundled with this. If so, I will get that!

2)The screen size is bigger, but the resolution is exactly the same, meaning that the 3DS XL will have a picture that is far less crisp and sharp than the original 3DS (this was the main reason I didn't buy the DSi XL; I found the blown-up picture almost unplayable).
It depends on what games you are playing. If you're playing Pokemon, where everything is rendered as a sprite, yes, this will look terrible. However, with the 3ds games' high resolution textures and polygons, as opposed to sprites, the larger screen will actually make for a better detailed game. Why? Because there is more room for the detail. I don't believe Nintendo would make the hardware render the game and then blow it up. I believe they make the 3ds render the image proportional to the smaller screen. That being said, if you have a 1024x1024 texture being rendered on a square that is 100x100, you will see less detail than if you render the same texture on a square that is 190x190 (90% larger screen).

Also, you need to compare the dis and the 3ds. The 3ds is so much more powerful. That means the 3ds is capable of rendering better graphics, and using more complex calculations due to its superior ram. So of course the dsixl will look like shit. The dsi was only capable of limited 3d (not true 3d) due to its small amount of ram and memory. The 3ds however, can use more memory, which means it can use better textures and graphics. Which also means more polygons, as opposed to sprites.

I'm a programmer. A sprite will get blown up because it is image data, not shapes. The image data can't miraculously show a crisper image with data it doesn't have. With a polygon, the shap is rendered on the fly. Not with a texture. So the polygon will be created to its full potential. Don't confuse polygons and textures. They are two different things.

Textures get applied to a polygon. The graphics hardware uses as much of the texture as it can. That's why when a application that doesn't have mipmapping looks terrible when the character is far away. The system has to use as much of the texture as it can on the polygon, with little space left. So you get a terrible mess. With the 3ds XL, the polygon will appear larger at a further distance, so the texture will actually look better.

However, it all depends on how everything is rendered. From the preview, the system looked promising, because the games kept all of their detail and actually looked better
smile.gif

Now with the dsi XL, new super Mario bros actually looked nice because believe it or not, Mario was not a sprite. Mario was a character rendered in 3d.

This just makes it less portable.... Not only that, but it's not like DS compadibility was improved in any manner!

I might want to buy one but it depends.... The 3DS is bigger than the DS, and I can't really fit it into my pocket. But if it has longer battery then I'll consider it.

Well, it's 3.5-6.5 hours for 3DS XL compared to [background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]3-5 hours for the 3DS. [/background]

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]So battery life is better by 0,5-1,5 hours.[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)]And if you consider that the screens are so much bigger on the 3DS XL, you can imagine how much more powerful and better the battery in the new device must be...[/background]

is there going to be a award for getting it on the release date like the original one but i am definitely getting it(it has longer battery life bigger screens etc.)i had a friend back when dsi xl was out he kept it in his pocket it wasent that hard i tryed it and it was easy i would like to play mk7 on it or new super mario bros 2(when it comes out(also luigis mansion)so im getting it)

The big disappointment here is that many were hoping they'd incorporate the added functionality of the circlepad pro into any future 3ds revision. Instead we get something which isn't even compatible with the circlepad pro.

Will I get it? Not bloody likely was my first thought.

I am curious though, to see how the size will affect the 3d. I've noticed on Nintendo Video that trailers for theatrical movies seem to have pretty shallow 3d effects. When you see the movies in the cinema this often isn't the case, so I figure the depth of the 3d must become more pronounced on a big screen.

Will some things look worse blown up? I think maybe they will.

Yeah, I'm assuming they're still rendering at the same resolution. If it were possible to render the same dimensional polygonal graphics at a higher res, I think that'd be worth it. I'm not sure if that's something that's already fixed into each game at the programming level, or if it's something that could be changed on the fly by the hardware, any rate it'd take more processing power on top of the cost of the bigger screen. Dunno if it has that.

I also agree that the compactness/portability is a real feature that we're losing here.

I feel stupid. You guys were saying the resolution is the same... Well if it truly is, that will suck. However, how could it be the same with 3d technology. I don't think it would work too well with the parallax barrier. So I hope they increase the resolution, or the 3d would most likely look shitty.

Typing on the iPad can suck sometimes.

Back