Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
On Nov. 17, police in Orlando, Fla., said two men were shot, one of them fatally, after meeting to sell a PS4. Originally the two were to meet outside police headquarters to perform the transaction, but the sale location was changed at the last minute. It is unclear whether the deceased was the console's owner or its prospective buyer.

San Francisco police arrested a man they suspect of killing a person trying to sell a PlayStation 4 through an online ad. It's believed to be the second homicide related to the console since its launch on Nov. 15.

Ronnie Collins, 21, of San Francisco, has been jailed on suspicion of murder and attempted robbery, reports the San Francisco Chronicle. The victim, Ikenna Uwakah, 22, of Daly City, Calif., was shot several times Sunday afternoon at the location where he had agreed to meet to sell the console.

However, it's not entirely clear that Collins, 21, either had contacted Uwakah to buy the console or knew he was there to sell it. S.F. police said Uwakah had been driven to the scene by his girlfriend; he was shot in the passenger seat of her vehicle. Originally police said the gunman made off with the PlayStation "but that detail remained unclear late Monday," said the Chron.
source

It saddens me that people do this for new consoles. Console makers need to step up and state any stolen system will be useless.

How would they determine if a console is stolen?

Suppose you buy a brand new console and get robbed on the way home. You haven't connected the console to your account (since it's still in the box). The maker has no way to know you purchased it.  

Even if there were a method (like suppose you had to give a PSN ID when you bought it so it could be connected to you) that doesn't mean that the console you purchased is yours. (Plenty of people buy consoles and give them for christmas. Or for birthdays. Or graduations. Or other special occasions.)
And that's not even to say that the purchaser even has a PSN ID/XBL ID (or wants one). 

And why would it even be that console maker's responsibility to ensure someone doesn't get robbed? Shouldn't that be the police's jurisdiction? 

Of course people are getting killed over a PS4.  In the 80's and 90's it was shoes.  Now it's this.  People never learn.

VirusZero said:
How would they determine if a console is stolen?

Suppose you buy a brand new console and get robbed on the way home. You haven't connected the console to your account (since it's still in the box). The maker has no way to know you purchased it.  

Even if there were a method (like suppose you had to give a PSN ID when you bought it so it could be connected to you) that doesn't mean that the console you purchased is yours. (Plenty of people buy consoles and give them for christmas. Or for birthdays. Or graduations. Or other special occasions.)
And that's not even to say that the purchaser even has a PSN ID/XBL ID (or wants one). 

And why would it even be that console maker's responsibility to ensure someone doesn't get robbed? Shouldn't that be the police's jurisdiction? 
same way that all consoles are blocked if a shipment is stolen, system ID. The second anyone connects a PS4 online, the servers read the ID, double check it against the ban list and instantly bricks the system.

Presuming that they can tell who bought which system... (I mean for stolen shipments they can easy block them because they know that consoles from ID 25600 to 512000 were on truck A and consoles from 512001 to 768000 were on truck B. So they can just block all of them. But for an individual sale? Might not be so easy. )
And that the person takes the system online... (At least with Sony, people can update their console without taking it online. So this might never happen.)

It should be set up in the stores so that when anything is sold, all data relating to that sale item is recorded. If not then I'm wasting time learning crap in my database class.

I'm also sure the person who stole it is the type who enjoys going online to trash talk.

RIP to the guy who got shoot over a PS4 game console.

Maybe if consoles cost less, there would be fewer robberies  since you rarely hear people getting robbed of a Wii U, Ouya, Wii, and cheaper consoles compared to the PS4, and Xbox One.

I saw on the news that most electronics and cars have unique serial numbers printed on them, so if it gets stolen, you can report the serial numbers for your stuff to the police, so the police will inform you if your stuff is found.

The store can also keep track of who bought which console with which serial number at what time by asking for the buyers name, address, and phone number to register the serial number to the owner during check out.

It's not like the new generation of consoles is that expensive, I don't see why some people would go to such extreme measures to get a console. They'd probably be better off trying to steal much higher value goods.

Demon_Skeith said:
It should be set up in the stores so that when anything is sold, all data relating to that sale item is recorded. If not then I'm wasting time learning crap in my database class.

I'm also sure the person who stole it is the type who enjoys going online to trash talk.
Who knows. They could be the type to sell it on, and use the money they make to buy ze drugz.

Back