Staff member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Steal Penalty
Return Of The Jedi is an interesting movie. It's an interesting movie mostly because I do love it, but I don't love it as strongly as Hope or Empire.

This movie works great when it focuses on Luke or Vader. It also works well when the Battle Of Endor begins and we get the biggest battle in the entire trilogy.

But I have to be honest. The first third of this movie is kind of…slow. I get that Han needed to be rescued but it kind of takes way too much time.

The film honestly is a bit too long is what I'm trying to say here. You can trim down the Han stuff and a bit of the Yoda stuff and have a better movie.

Return works mostly because it's mostly just concluding the story. This film is built off the backs of the other two films and it doesn't really need to establish much or build up characters. Rather, this is a movie that's all about payoffs.

Luke's and Vader's final confirmation is the best fight in the whole trilogy. But honestly, I think Vader's redemption is a little…rushed.

I get it, he killed the emperor, but that's all he did before he died. I just would rather have seen a bit more from the “good side” of Vader, rather than just have a quick redemption arc.

Now, as for Emperor Palpatine, I guess I don't really have much to say about him. He works great as a threat to Luke, but…he also kind of just exists.

I don't know why, but he kind of felt like a lesser presence to Vader. I know that he's more dangerous than Vader, I know that he's in direct control of the second death star but…he's not as personal as Vader.

Palpatine in this movie is a good villain,, but he's not the personal villain. Vader has a direct connection to Luke, and that makes Vader the far more interesting villain.

As for Endor, I think it's fine. The ewoks aren't all that interesting but they're simple and cute. And while I can see why people don't like ewoks defeating the empire, I was fine with it.

I suppose that's all I wanted to say about this movie. It's like I said, I find it weaker than Hope and Empire.

I suppose I should say a final word on the original trilogy. This is where Star Wars is at its best quality wise (besides Andor but that's a different story). I do enjoy these films and will gladly rewatch them, but…I guess I also enjoy the television side of Star Wars more.

Yes, the television side is weaker but…that's kind of the fun. What am I supposed to say about the original trilogy? I have nothing new to add besides a few nitpicks and minor complaints. These are the best, but everyone knows that.

What I'm trying to say is this. I enjoy watching the original trilogy, but I also think that Clone Wars or Rebels are more fun to talk about. In the end, this is where Star Wars was at its best, but it's not where Star Wars is at its most fun.

Back when it was just these three movies, there was so little on Pals and Vader, I think they could have shorten the Han scene and give more focus on the big bad for better end results of the movie.

Back when it was just these three movies, there was so little on Pals and Vader, I think they could have shorten the Han scene and give more focus on the big bad for better end results of the movie.
Yeah I agree. Vader at least has James Earl Jones giving a performance of a lifetime, and the father-son dynamic. But Palpatine gets so little.

Last edited:
I think knowing Vader was Luke's father was enough to make him have a redemption arc. It has a lot more action and buildup than the prequels. But having more than one thing happen at a time, and having a shield generator as an excuse to add another planet and give characters things to do, doesn't make the movie as well thought out.

Back