Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So I'm very positive around this time next month I should be able to start tackling Zelda Botw on Wii U. So to those of you who already played it, any tips or advice you have for me?

I don't fully plan to play everything (like collecting that 999 item thing), but I do plan on exploring the world and doing what interests me and I rather not waste time just wandering around, so I wouldn't mind a decent guide to follow.

I played it on the Switch when it first came out, but got quickly annoyed by the size of the game, and started playing Puyo Puyo Tetris S on it instead, until something else came out for it, since both games were launch titles.

Get the DLC? I mean, it's meant to be played during the storyline, not afterwards. So make sure it's set up then, and things like the Champion's Ballad will make a lot more sense.

good to know.

Anyone on tips to save time to not waste on exploring?

Well, find the Sheikah Towers as quickly as you can. That gives you a nice high vantage point with which you can survey the surrounding areas and find shrines more easily, as well as a convenient map to compare online if you're stuck.

Also remember to cook as many meals as possible, ideally ones that boost your stats beyond what they're normally capable of. For instance, it can be really difficult to climb up a whole mountain with the default stamina wheel, but an enduring meal (cooked with ingredients with the word 'enduring' in their name) will give you extra temporary wheels to use to keep going.

You should additionally make sure to get the Ancient horse gear too, assuming the DLC is installed. This will let you call your horse from anywhere by whistling, even if it's too far away to usually come running. A very useful tool indeed, and one that restores how Epona worked in the likes of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.

Finally, if you can find the climbing gear, that'll help a lot.

You should additionally make sure to get the Ancient horse gear too, assuming the DLC is installed. This will let you call your horse from anywhere by whistling, even if it's too far away to usually come running. A very useful tool indeed, and one that restores how Epona worked in the likes of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess.
I'm ticked that this is locked behind DLC. This is a basic function in almost all open world games that involve horses. So glad Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption didn't lock a basic feature behind a pay wall.

I'm ticked that this is locked behind DLC. This is a basic function in almost all open world games that involve horses. So glad Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption didn't lock a basic feature behind a pay wall.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. Breath of the Wild locks far too much behind DLC while not really offering a lot of genuinely 'unique' story elements there in a way that feels like Nintendo took inspiration from smartphone devs.

However, I'll say that if you're looking at the worst of two evils, then the stuff locked behind amiibo may be worse than that locked behind the expansion pass. At least the latter is cheap and contains a ton of different things (however possibly questionable the idea of charging for some of it may be). The former is literally on disc DLC that offers better resources than you get through the DLC (or in some cases, in-game)

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. Breath of the Wild locks far too much behind DLC while not really offering a lot of genuinely 'unique' story elements there in a way that feels like Nintendo took inspiration from smartphone devs.

However, I'll say that if you're looking at the worst of two evils, then the stuff locked behind amiibo may be worse than that locked behind the expansion pass. At least the latter is cheap and contains a ton of different things (however possibly questionable the idea of charging for some of it may be). The former is literally on disc DLC that offers better resources than you get through the DLC (or in some cases, in-game)
That's true, and aren't a lot of the Amiibos hard to find? I remember people complaining about scalpers when the game came out. I'd love to bub the different hero tunics.

That's true, and aren't a lot of the Amiibos hard to find? I remember people complaining about scalpers when the game came out. I'd love to bub the different hero tunics.

just buy an action replay amiibo, download all the codes onto it and bam, you have all content.

So how much is this game's total DLC? Not locked behind a plastic doll.

Saw this, it's rather cool lol The legend of Zelda: breath of the wild gameboy color version.

So I started tonight, looks to be a fun but expansive game. I've already died twice though, first by missing a step on the tower and the second when I blew myself up with a bomb :squint:
You will die a lot at the start because this game is cruel. For most of the start of the game, I didn't even fight things hand to hand. I stood on mountain tops and threw sphere bombs trying to get them to roll into enemies to get good weapons. Problem with that is, it takes a long time.

You will die a lot at the start because this game is cruel. For most of the start of the game, I didn't even fight things hand to hand. I stood on mountain tops and threw sphere bombs trying to get them to roll into enemies to get good weapons. Problem with that is, it takes a long time.

when do I get to hold more weapons? I've already hit my max and had to leave a few decent ones behind.

when do I get to hold more weapons? I've already hit my max and had to leave a few decent ones behind.
Not sure how far you are, but assuming you're still near the beginning, it depends. You have to run into a specific npc and honestly, I don't remember where to find them. It was before I had my barrings with the game straight so I was lost at the time.

Not sure how far you are, but assuming you're still near the beginning, it depends. You have to run into a specific npc and honestly, I don't remember where to find them. It was before I had my barrings with the game straight so I was lost at the time.

I'll look into it, I'm about done with my last shrine on the starting plain.

Also died again tonight, fell off a cliff :squint:

I'll look into it, I'm about done with my last shrine on the starting plain.

Also died again tonight, fell off a cliff :squint:
Speaking of falling off cliffs, one of my favorite things to do after doing pretty much everything in the game and waiting for the DLC was finding different mountains and just jumping off to watch Link's rag doll physics. Honestly, it can get pretty hilarious.

Back