Best Buy will reportedly no longer sell CDs in its stores come July 1

Huh, interesting. Reminds me when they took DVDs off their shelves or at least cut back. Anyways, I'm sure Vinyl will stay around forever now.

As for my music, yeah I just buy it all in MP3s. Should I do get a CD, I just rip it and resell it.

I think one of the reasons CDs are not being sold at Bestbuy is because many people think new music is not as good these days, and Bestbuy does not sell more foreign music like Japanese pop and Korean pop music which has a lot of loyal fans which buy CDs and DVD concerts of their favorite Kpop and Jpop bands or solo singers.

A lot of people are less interested in buying new music which they heard on the radio, movie, TV shows, and online. Many people I know seem to enjoy listening to classic rock, classic pop, classical music, oldies hit songs, and older rap and R&B music.

There are also smaller music stores which know what its customers want to buy, and have hard to find music which people want to listen to.

Anyways, I'm sure Vinyl will stay around forever now.
As a vinyl collector, I'm the first to admit it's largely a novelty product. As for it sounding better, there's way too many factors involved for a hard yes/no for sound quality. Was the whole process of recording to mastering analog? Was the digital (ie CD/MP3) master super compressed so it sounds like garbage? Is the vinyl literally just the CD version, and transferred onto vinyl? It also costs more money to sound good, or you need to buy extra stuff that most people don't have lying around. It's not exactly a convenient hobby.

I think one of the reasons CDs are not being sold at Bestbuy is because many people think new music is not as good these days

Tbh that's literally every decade/generation where they complain about the current state of music being trash, so that's not what caused Best Buy to stop selling CD's. Also that can also be applied to every form of media where there's a ton of people saying the current (movies/games/whatever) is hot garbage and the classics are the only ones worth checking out.

What I think caused Best Buy to stop selling CD's is that they noticed waning sales, so they don't stock as many CD's, and this also in turn causes customers to stop looking at Best Buy for CD's. MP3's and Spotify are what caused people to not buy CD's anymore, and now buying albums is relegated to being a niche hobby, as the average person doesn't care enough to listen to full albums anymore.

Tbh that's literally every decade/generation where they complain about the current state of music being trash, so that's not what caused Best Buy to stop selling CD's. Also that can also be applied to every form of media where there's a ton of people saying the current (movies/games/whatever) is hot garbage and the classics are the only ones worth checking out.

What I think caused Best Buy to stop selling CD's is that they noticed waning sales, so they don't stock as many CD's, and this also in turn causes customers to stop looking at Best Buy for CD's. MP3's and Spotify are what caused people to not buy CD's anymore, and now buying albums is relegated to being a niche hobby, as the average person doesn't care enough to listen to full albums anymore.

I feel these days there is a higher amount of unprofessional music because more new musicians are recording music at home with lower quality audio equipment like microphones, and instruments like cheaper drums made for beginners. The songs are sometimes less relate-able because the lyrics are written by less experience writers, and have terms like laughing out loud and slang words like dope which many people don't understand or like.

People can publish their songs for free on YouTube, Soundcloud, Bittorrent, or their own blog at Tumblr, so there is more poor quality music being publish for free. Many self-recorded songs maybe good to listen to a few times for free, but are sometimes not worth buying for most listeners.

There are people who buy more affordable music CDs which are on sale for under $20 or many older used and less popular cds for a few dollars which is cheaper than subscribing to paid streaming services like Apple Music for many years, and you can rip CDs to high bitrate MP3 or FLAC files.

I feel these days there is a higher amount of unprofessional music because more new musicians are recording music at home with lower quality audio equipment like microphones, and instruments like cheaper drums made for beginners. The songs are sometimes less relate-able because the lyrics are written by less experience writers, and have terms like laughing out loud and slang words like dope which many people don't understand or like.

That's still entirely just your opinion rather than factual information. If you know anything about underground music, that's been going around for decades, it's just that the internet made it more visible and easy to transfer around. Poor quality recordings on cheap equipment played by unprofessional musicians? Look at the 80's punk scene or 90's lo-fi movement.

People love crapping on the current generation of whatever media it is, because they see the older stuff in a vacuum. Only the good stuff is remembered. Look back 10-15, or even 20 years ago at the top 100 charts and tell me how many of those songs are still remembered and played on the radio. If you turn on a classic rock station, they're going to play the "good" stuff from time's past, not songs that were hits that got forgotten 3 years later. Another contributing factor is that certain genres and styles being popular comes and goes. The 80's was big with new wave and hair metal, and 8-bit and 16-bit games were the hayday of 2D platformers.

Back