Best PlayStion video game moments

Drake

Full GL Member
Credits
Video games have provided a lot of memorable moments through the years. I still can remember a lot - even those games that were in the PS1. Here are some of the moments in PlayStation games that I consider the best:

The intro in Silent Hill
silent_hill_1_6089.PNG

You go and follow the silhouette of Harry's daughter as you are lead to a narrow alley. The environment gets darker and darker and you start to see blood. Corroded steel replaces the walls and you are encountered by little imps with knives. You on the other hand are armed with a match stick. Oh man, the horror of getting stabbed by those vile creatures.

The battle with Psycho Mantis in MGS
Psycho_mantis.png

Battling Psycho Mantis is very hard because he reads your every move. So nothing compares to plugging the controller into the second port and giggling as Mantis snarls "Why? Why can't I read your mind?!"

Dancing with Rinoa in FFVIII
squall-and-rinoa.jpg

It's an FMV sequence but it also was the end of the SEED exam that Squall and the gang successfully passed. It was a moment to behold.

Acquiring the God Gear in Xenogears
xenogears_vic.jpg

Never felt so darn powerful in a game.

My best playstation video game moment was on the PS2 I was playing FFXI. And I was on my PLD and I was in a full Japanese party. We were fighting the crawlers and I accidentally provoked a lizard and all of a sudden we had every lizard in the room on us LOL. Next thing you know we wipe and there is Japanese text scrolling on the screen very rapidly LOL. I never laughed so hard in my life, I had tears in my eyes and my side hurt after. I will remember that until the day I die LOL.

Greg

My favorite playstation gaming moment was in Final Fanasty Thirteen, when I finally beat the end boss. It took me so many tries, but when I succeeded it was a great moment.

Being an avid Final Fantasy fan, it really wouldn't make sense for me personally to choose my best moment from any other title.

Although this is incredibly hard, damn you FFVII and FFVIII and you're awesomeness! 

Okay this post took me longer than I expected. I'm going to have to go for Red XIII story line. After battling your way through the canyon, you come across his father Seto. If you don't know the background story line, Red XIII (Nanaki) is the last of his kind to his knowledge. According to him his mother was a glorious fighter, who fought and died defending his people's home land (Cosmo Canyon), while his cowardly father ran to the hills. In the game, you reach Cosmo Canyon and you travel into the depths of the canyon, fighting quite annoying enemies along your way, and a decent boss battle at the end. After the boss battle, ohh it's emotional.

It is revealed that his father did not run, but instead knew of another attack coming from the depths of the canyon and fought the invaders on his own. The music, the video, oh it is brilliant. There stands the majestic lion (yea their race was lions that could talk etc.) turned to stone, on top of a crevice looking over the canyon below. Nanaki, coming to the realization that his father is a hero, sits and howls at the moon (as lions do lolz!), and tears run from his father's eyes. Somewhat horrifying since it indicates that he is still alive, entombed in a stone prison of his own skin, but beautiful none the less

A lot of my memories are with Final fantasy, seeing all the cool cut scenes for the first time like the shinra mako cannon and the summon attacks in FF 9.

I'll never forget playing the .hack series, that was a story that really drew you in.

Hmm... trying to think of something that isn't Final Fantasy...

While I wouldn't say it was the best, because it wasn't a positive emotion, this was probably the moment that really got me to realize somewhere in the back of my mind that video games were awesome storytelling mediums:

The death of Ada Wong. Like, I really thought she was dead. Since I was a prepubescent little Asian girl who liked to look up to grown-up Asian women who kicked ass, that was a tragedy, but it was also a storytelling complexity that probably wasn't age-appropriate (although I do not regret the feels!) because I could see that she didn't want to betray whatshisface but she had to and when she died the dude was sad even though she betrayed him and I was sad that she was dead and sad that he was sad and it was sad. That moment was hugely memorable for me, because it was like the first time in my life where I had those really complex emotions. But well then I got distracted by life and other games and completely missed when Ada got better from death.

Drake said:
Dancing with Rinoa in FFVIII
squall-and-rinoa.jpg

It's an FMV sequence but it also was the end of the SEED exam that Squall and the gang successfully passed. It was a moment to behold.
I'm not really a romantic, so what I would consider the crowning moment was when their school turns into this giant semi-mecha space ship thing and starts flying around!

And yes, the god gear in Xenogears. I should replay that game actually because I just sort of remember it was one giant awesome moment that went on for like a hundred hours.

Demon_Skeith said:
A lot of my memories are with Final fantasy, seeing all the cool cut scenes for the first time like the shinra mako cannon and the summon attacks in FF 9.

I'll never forget playing the .hack series, that was a story that really drew you in.
I agree. The summons in FF9 were awesome. Some of the summons even got some cool FMV sequences. I can still remember when I discovered that Princess Garnett could perform summons! If you would ask me, FF9 is the best FF game when it comes to the incorporation of summons into the storyline and gameplay. It also made summons a lot more special (as compared to FF7 and 8 and XII and other FF games).

In the original mercenaries game you could call in carpet bombing (for a huge amount of money). Carpet bombings drop explosions sequentially in a direction, one glorious row after the other. One of the greatest things was to call in a carpet bomb on an enemy base and then run just inches behind each row of explosions!! You'd hear all these enemies coming out and shouting in alarm at spotting you running through their base, only for them to explode a moment latter and their barracks to collapse to the ground as well. It was an amazing feeling!

All of the best playstation video game moments came when Garry's mod was released for the orange box hands down.

Mods aside, I'd say beating the Skyrim main quest was really awesome.

In no particular order:

- When I first got my PS2 (I was blown away!)
- When I made an epic comeback online in NCAA Football 06. I was down 28-6 at the end of the first quarter and later down 3 touchdowns with, like, 5 min left in the game and somehow came back and won in overtime by a field goal!!! The guy I was playing against got really cocky later in the game and tried running up the score and failing at it.
- When I was briefly ranked in the top 100 online in Arena Football hahaha
- My friend forcing me to borrow and play a game I wasn't interested in but did so anyways and realizing how awesome of a game it was! That game in question was Final Fantasy X. I never cared for RPGs before.....
- When I came home from school one day to find out my older brother randomly bought a PS3
- First Uncharted 1 & 2 playthroughs (U1 was my first PS3 game)
- That first Platinum
- Platinuming Uncharted 1 after over a year of it sitting there incomplete >_>
- Heavy Rain......all of it
- Finally getting around to playing the God of War series (Thanks to the collection)

ciorex said:
- When I made an epic comeback online in NCAA Football 06. I was down 28-6 at the end of the first quarter and later down 3 touchdowns with, like, 5 min left in the game and somehow came back and won in overtime by a field goal!!! The guy I was playing against got really cocky later in the game and tried running up the score and failing at it.
Yeah, it's like there's built in catch up logic when peoples egos go a bit overboard! Also sometimes people get tired just at the same time you get your second wind!

- My friend forcing me to borrow and play a game I wasn't interested in but did so anyways and realizing how awesome of a game it was! That game in question was Final Fantasy X. I never cared for RPGs before.....
Yeah, that's what friends are for! Show you stuff you think you don't care about but sometimes you find out you do!

One of my favorite PS moments was when Lara Croft first got introduced as the Tomb Raider in the first game. I think at that point, we've never really seen any game or character like it, and the opening scene did really hook you into playing the rest of the stage and thus the rest of the game.

Drake said:
I agree. The summons in FF9 were awesome. Some of the summons even got some cool FMV sequences. I can still remember when I discovered that Princess Garnett could perform summons! If you would ask me, FF9 is the best FF game when it comes to the incorporation of summons into the storyline and gameplay. It also made summons a lot more special (as compared to FF7 and 8 and XII and other FF games).
I completely agree, FF 9 was the best and last true FF game.

Hey guys, just so you know, I intended that this thread be about the best moments in the PSX (PS1) only. That's why I only included PS1 games in my first post here in this thread. However, seeing that the thread has evolved, I feel the need to update my list and add a few more games. This time, for the PS2:

Encountering a Colossus for the first time in Shadow of the Colossus
tumblr_l98tl8KwDf1qbzf0vo1_r2_500.gif

Using the Celestial Brush in Okami
okami-hd02.jpg

Blasting the head of a zombie, then jumping through a window and kicking the heck out of another zombie in RE4
Resident_Evil_4_Ganado_village.png

For me it came when playing Fallout 3. I've had Playstations for years and after having a ps3 for a good while I felt like games just weren't as good as they used to be. I wasn't sure if I was just getting older and that it didn't interest me in the same way or if the games just weren't as good. I bought fallout 3 quite a while after it came out and didn't have a clue about it apart from that it was meant to be decent. I never played any of the previous ones (and didn't know shit about them) and never really got in to any moderately RPG style games at all. I got playing and was getting in to it even if it wasn't action packed (the bit at the start when your in the vault, growing up etc) Thought it was all right, but didn't know what to expect or if I would leave the vault. Then I got to the bit when shit kicks off and your making your way out down the tunnel. As I'm wandering along I'm thinking: I'm not going to be able to leave, something will happen.Then I get to the vault door and the loading screen starts. - I'm a gonna go outside!? I'm not going outside. I'm going outside! I hope its not just a level and a bit open. Loading stops and I'm looking out across the wasteland. It, looks, massive. The sun is rising on the horizon. It looks beautiful yet desolate, and there's definitely something large moving moving over there (I spent the next 2 hours venturing out about 100 yards an then running back to the rock I'd been hiding behind)
Single best moment. Just didn't see it coming, and feel in love with a game like I hadn't done for a long time.

When the PlayStation 1 was first released it was rarely available for purchase in my country. But some people were able to buy some and with them opened cafes where you payed to play on the PS1 console. And in those cafes is where I finished the first Resident Evil game and Crash Bandicoot with a lot of people watching over my shoulder. And those many people watching as I completed the games is the best PlayStation 1 related memory I have, my best moment :)

My best moment was in MLB: 07 The Show. Where in RTTS (Road to the show) I won a world series with the Philadelphia Phillies against the Yankees. It was a 2009 rematch, in a 2007-made game!I was also the MVP for the world series too!

To the guy who said shadow of thw collossus, YES. I had the same feels with Dragons Dogma. Even though the game had its flaws.

I fell completely in love with the setting. It was awesome to scale a cyclops and gouge out his eyes. Or exploring some dark cave down to my last pawn not knowing whats around the corner.

Back