Blockbuster world game competition - My story.

J-RAY

Top Fight Security!
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Way back in 1994(I think) there was a gaming competition held by blockbuster. It was Nintendo and sega. Well, I was gaming so much I thought it would be worth it to enter. The deal was kids to wanted to enter had to show up at one of the nearest locations at blockbuster and game it out and battle against others who showed up. The winner of the in the store would be sent to compete against the winners of each store in the city, and then against the winners of each major city, then finally the the 13 best players of each Canadian province.
On the final challenge against the two best player int eh country they would get to play a game that was not released yet. Mario Brothers 3! The top 5 people were getting a cash reward and fame. $10K was for first.

Well, I was a god as mario brothers 2 and 1, I dominated as the sonic games, and streetfighter 2(was obviously going to be there) because it was the biggest hit at the time. That game made me very popular around town because I was impossible to beat. friends would say "I got a friend who can beat you" then I'd go to that strangers house and destroy them. In fact I've only lost once out of the 100 plus challanges. I played this girl and she had all of these rules when playing. I spent more time trying to make sure to follow her dumb rules that I couldn't beat her. The main rule that was a problem was that you were not allowed to kick twice in a row. If you kicked or punched you couldn't do it against or you had to stop and the other person was given a free shot(SO STUPID). anyway, continuing on.

When I entered for the store there was 250 to 350 people entered in this elimination comp. I don't remember all of the 5 random games chosen but one was sonic 1, contra, and there was Mario 1 of course. In all of the comp. Mario 2 and streetfighter 2 were in. I didn't think I would do good but I toasted them ALL.
On the final battle for SF2 against this dork, your fighter was chosen at random. I got the worst guy and still toasted him alive.
I remember there were LOTS of crybabies in that competition.

I was sent to Toronto for the next day to battle all of the kids from each major city. I don't remember much but it was getting kind of instense. I remember that we played on some bigger screen(not a little terminal like before). It started to look like some kind of dating show stage. One person on one side, another person on another side. Lots of spectators and some cheering. I'll never forget the first kid because we were suppose to shake hands but he refused and was being cocky(and his dad was yelling stuff like "do what you've been trained to do son!" He was eliminated because on top of the game screens there was a meeter that rised as you were playing and I was ahead and the kid started hitting the controller and freaking out. They eliminated him. After that I was nervious, sick to my stomach, and all of the people were cheering for me and everyone else. People were starting to split into groups where they we hoping you'd win. It was scary. On a break this one Japanese man came up to me and in barely understandable english said "You goooood....yes......you good." Anyway, after excessive sweating while playing I actually came in third with brought me to the finals about 12 people were there. We did an interview and our answers of questions where placed on some huge projector. I felt good that day. I was getting used to the people looking up to me.

Until the very first game announced....Megaman..
Why me!!! I've never even played that game once in my life. I never even though about it other than one day seeing it and thinking. Looks dumb.
I was absolutely destroyed.

The End.

WOW, that has to be the one. That was 18 years ago. Am I really that old?This brings back memories.

The article is a fair bit different than my story. My guess is my numbers were obviously not correct, the article is taking about the US side of the contest, and I suppose I didn't get to the finals. I Only got the the Canadian division of the Finals.Either way it was a good acomplishment.

Megaman was the enemy of Sonic. If you played sonic then the megaman guys didn't like you and vise versa. Its a kid bully thing.

Back