Borderlands 2 Review

GracefulAssassin

Mori Hater
Awards
Credits
Singleplayer 8/10
The story of Borderlands 2 is pretty basic; you pick 1 of 4 characters that are Vault Hunters. These people search through worlds to find the Vault, which is said to hold hidden alien intel that can give the finder infinite amount of strength. As you progress through the story, you meet the original four Vault hunters from the original game. They help you in trying to defeat the antagonist, known as Handsome Jack, who is probably the funniest character in the game. And on that note, the game is hilarious. The sense of humor is awesome, and most people will laugh at least once throughout the game. If you are looking strictly for a singleplayer game, I'd say look for another game because Borderlands 2 has a fairly barren map, and it feels "lonely" when you are by yourself.

Multiplayer 9/10
This is where the game shines. It's obvious that Geabox wanted the game to be played mostly multiplayer. Unlike the singleplayer, the game doesn't feel "lonely", mostly because you are playing with someone. There is a vast amount of stuff to do, but it's much more enjoyable when you are doing it with a friend. The enemies do get stronger as more players join, but when there are 4 of you at level 50, nothing can stop you. You will most likely invest most of your time into the multiplayer because it's much more fun to play through the game with someone. To give a reference, me and my friend have clocked over 100 hours in the multiplayer, but only about 15 hours on the singleplayer.

Gameplay 9/10
There hasn't been much added from the first game. There is still a car to get around, and a new car too that has 4 seats now. There are even more guns in the game, which I don't even see how that was possible considering there was over a billion in the last one. Skill points are brought back to upgrade your character as you try for level 50, but the skills are organized into trees now, but it's still the same none-the-less. The biggest addition is the Badass Rank. You get Badass EXP for each challenge you do, and sometimes you get Badass coins, which are used to upgrade your character as well. Although there isn't much change, they don't need to make that much change because the FPS RPG worked the first time, so why fix something that isn't broken?

Technical 7/10
Borderlands isn't very well known for it's graphics. While the cell shaded style looks cool, the game looks too cartoon like, and rough; it wasn't anti-aliased well, so it's nothing pretty to look at, but it looks fine. The game does have less glitches than the first, but it still has a few, namely the one that resets your skill points, which is just annoying more than anything.

Verdict
Borderlands 2 is a huge game, probably one of the biggest this year. It has a lot to offer, especially with multiplayer, so you could easily put in hundreds of hours into this. It does have glitches, and while the singleplayer gets "lonely and barren", you'll find this to be a game to last a long time.

8/10

Great Review :) I must however say that  the graphics in my opinion are really creative and different, however this is not my review so I cannot say too much!
Once again, great review hope you post some more!

-Paul

Great review I concur. This game is definitely meant to be played in multiplayer. I tried playing single player and not only was it not as fun when I got the slaughterhouse I couldn't get past it alone. Every time you die you have to redo the mission so I finally beat it with a few friends. I haven't played the first one but I might get it after finishing this one if it is as good as you say.

I've played Borderlands 2 for a while. At first I was really excited, but after that it just got like:
  • Enter map
  • Search for goods/money
  • Kill
  • Search
  • Kill
  • Search
  • Kill
  • Boss
Yes, I played it on Multiplayer. The whole time I played was online. Still, I didn't enjoy it really. I just don't know why. I don't say it's not a good game though, I just say I don't like it. Also, it was a great improvement on Borderlands 1, because that game's story and gameplay was far more linear.
Anyway...

Good review. I'm glad you liked it.

The graphics was what caught my attention about Borderlands 2. I haven't had any encounter with the first part though . I agree it's cartoonish but that's what makes it unique and if you change your outlook you might actually enjoy it in the run. Totally agree about the weapons, there's a bagillion:)

Great review but.. I dunno.. I loved the first one, but when I played the second, after I got to the second level I hated the game. It just felt like it didn't offer anything 'too' new for me and I didn't enjoy it. I ended up bringing it back to gamestop. =( I admit though, the beginning of the game got me hooked and I was instantly addicted but it lost its fizz really fast.

Great review, I agree Boarderlands 2 was a good game that I enjoyed but I wouldn't give it a 10/10 either.

I love Borderlands 2. Probably more than I love the first one. Gearbox has done a tremendous job with this series, and I really can't wait for them to make a next gen Borderlands. I agree with everything in your review, except the graphics idea. I though that the cartoon-like graphics really made Borderlands stand out from the rest. It adds the effect to all the humor that they include in the game and I think the two coincide really great together. Nearly two years later and I still find myself addicted to the game.

You sumed up the game well under the categories you chose, but didn't touch on a big part of the game's appeal. There's a certain personality to the overall presentation that streches from the unique graphics to some of the odd character choices. I'm not going to argue that anything really stands out about the gameplay, but in a world with so many games presenting sleek, overfit, and hyper-cool, good and bad guys, there's a kind of humor going up against some the humourously grotesque or mishapen enemies in this game. To me it has kind of a Mad Max feel, where the character you play isn't extraordinaryly good at anything instead getting by on grit.

I've heard a lot about this game and this pretty much sums it up perfectly. I didn't know that Borderlands 2 was actually that particular way, I've seen it on YouTube before but I've never really understood the concept very well to do with the  characters and the mechanism. I think when it becomes repetition it becomes like a really boring religious type of thing, or systematic. I tend to go to games that actually have more challenges in them and something new every time.

I think I'm one of the very few that's never actually played this game and there's so much hype surrounding it! All the review say it's great and I've seen gameplay and it looks pretty decent. I'm really going to have to check it out soon!

Back