LEGEND67

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
$50 Steam Gift Card
$50 Steam Gift Card
$50 Steam Gift Card
Amazon $20 Gift Card
Kongregate has long been a godsend for bored students and workers stuck in dreary office jobs. Launched in 2006, the browser-based game portal has amassed over 128,000 games, but that number won't be growing: the site has announced it will no longer be accepting new games as of today, nor will new badges be added.
The news comes via an official announcement in the Kongregate forums. It notes the imminent death of Flash on December 31, as well as the company's increased focus on developing its own (mostly mobile) titles.
Gamesindustry.biz notes that several Kongregate employees have tweeted about sudden layoffs at the company.

I've seen this message early in the morning today, and it seems like it's an end of an era there.

Forbes already got some answers on this topic:
“We can confirm that we have made the difficult, but necessary decision to let a number of appreciated team members go today. Over the last few years, we have been transitioning our focus to better align with our strengths and the gaming industry as a whole. This year has been especially difficult for us, and the rest of the world, with COVID 19 affecting our business in a negative way and changing the overall games market. That’s why we had to take this unfortunate step to reshape our organization.''

Things are about to change there for sure, they will focus more on the game development and acquisitions rather than the platform itself.
We've published 2 games (so far) on Kongregate in the prev years, and been currently working on the next one to be released in August there, so this news was quite shocking for us today.
But, it seems like our future/path will now be even more focused on Steam.

I've seen this message early in the morning today, and it seems like it's an end of an era there.

Forbes already got some answers on this topic:
“We can confirm that we have made the difficult, but necessary decision to let a number of appreciated team members go today. Over the last few years, we have been transitioning our focus to better align with our strengths and the gaming industry as a whole. This year has been especially difficult for us, and the rest of the world, with COVID 19 affecting our business in a negative way and changing the overall games market. That’s why we had to take this unfortunate step to reshape our organization.''

Things are about to change there for sure, they will focus more on the game development and acquisitions rather than the platform itself.
We've published 2 games (so far) on Kongregate in the prev years, and been currently working on the next one to be released in August there, so this news was quite shocking for us today.
But, it seems like our future/path will now be even more focused on Steam.
Yeah most likely on Steam well most of the game and players out there too

I don't believe COVID is the main reason behind such a move. It's more of a company's changed strategy/focus into game development and acquisitions. Kong was acquired a few years back, and those were the times where they lost part of their autonomy.

How can COVID after Kongregate negatively? It's a online business, every gaming company I know was profiting like hell due to COVID.
A lot of online gaming sites are affected by of Flash. It has nothing to do with Coronavirus. I believe there is one website that has adapted the games so that they don't rely on Flash anymore. Can't remember the name of the site though

Online advertising banner ads may make less money for online web browser games, and the Coronavirus maybe causing Kongregate to make less money from website ads if advertisers are spending less money buying banner ads on their site.

A lot of people now play online games on Facebook, or game apps on their iPhone or Android phones, so online web games maybe less profitable.

Online advertising banner ads may make less money for online web browser games, and the Coronavirus maybe causing Kongregate to make less money from website ads if advertisers are spending less money buying banner ads on their site.

A lot of people now play online games on Facebook, or game apps on their iPhone or Android phones, so online web games maybe less profitable.
Yes browser games now stops by most of the downloadable games like on Steam, Epic and Ubisoft etc and they are giving out free games too which interests more now in this pandemic situation

Yes browser games now stops by most of the downloadable games like on Steam, Epic and Ubisoft etc and they are giving out free games too which interests more now in this pandemic situation

I imagine all the free digital games being given away on Steam, Epic, and Ubisoft during the pandemic is making browser games a less popular option.

Free PC games like Fort Nite, League of Legends, Dota 2, etcm and free mobile games like Pokemon Go also are very popular, so fewer people may play browser games.

I imagine all the free digital games being given away on Steam, Epic, and Ubisoft during the pandemic is making browser games a less popular option.

Free PC games like Fort Nite, League of Legends, Dota 2, etcm and free mobile games like Pokemon Go also are very popular, so fewer people may play browser games.
Ye that's a sad thing on other hand like no more browser games and good news for some users on the other hand :(

Back