BT Infinity

GamerPerfection

Xbox 360
Awards
Credits
So I decided to upgrade my BT Broadband to BT Infinity to get the fibre optic high speeds. Now that i've ordered it i've seen what the installation process is and the preparations I need prior to the engineer coming to visit on the 27th Nov.

This is my current setup:

Router in my bedroom connected to my phone extension socket. My computer and Xbox 360 both connected via wire to the router. Everything else in the house connected to the router wirelessly.

This is what BT Infinity requires:

Fibre Optic Modem connected to Master phone socket ONLY. BT Home Hub 5 connected to modem.

My Master phone socket is downstairs in the living room. This means I will need to have it all connected in the living room. They can lay cabling upto 30m from the master phone socket to the modem if required to have it further away, but can only lay cabling along floors and skirting boards, not under carpets. Then a cable upto 100m (I believe) can be used to connect the modem to the Home Hub.

But I don't want to have all this extra cabling, plus my bedroom is upstairs so i'm not having cabling going all the way up there.

So now this means that the modem and home hub will be connected and sitting in the living room, and now I will have to have my computer and Xbox 360 connected wirelessly.

Not what I was intending at all...... Annoyed!

Where do you live? As far as I know fiber optic is all cable meaning it should be coming through your cable wires for tv and stuff and not telephone jacks.

But for your problem, sounds like you need more wireless routers.

The fibre optic goes to the telephone socket which is where the modem needs to be connected to. It will have a phone socket and data socket. This is what fibre optic broadband is.

Why would I need more wireless routers?  Maybe you misunderstood what I said.

I suppose now that I think about it, the cable can go through anything. For my set up the cable is just a split which one leads into the TV and the other into the modem.

For your problem, you said you don't want a cable going up to your bedroom or extra cables. So if you still want your stuff connected you will need a stronger router or more to connect all your devices right?

Demon_Skeith said:
I suppose now that I think about it, the cable can go through anything. For my set up the cable is just a split which one leads into the TV and the other into the modem.

For your problem, you said you don't want a cable going up to your bedroom or extra cables. So if you still want your stuff connected you will need a stronger router or more to connect all your devices right?
No, not exactly.

My problem 'was' that if having BT Infinity means the modem and home hub has to be downstairs in the living room and therefore my PC/Xbox no longer directly connected to it then I will have to use my PC/Xbox wirelessly. This means buying a wireless network card for my PC and for the Xbox, as my PC has never needed one. This was the issue because I don't really want my PC/Xbox to be using a wireless connection, I prefer them to use wired.

However, i've been told about some mains plugs that have ethernet connection in which can basically cut out the need for me using the wifi with my PC/Xbox etc. So it will actually mean both my PC and Xbox are wired, but not directly into the home hub/modem even though they are based downstairs in my living room.

There is a type of ethernet powerline adapter device which connects to your router, or modem, and uses your home's copper power wiring via a electrical plug to connect your modem to your PC, and Xbox 360, but you would need three powerline adapters 1 for your modem/router, 1 for your PC, and 1 for your Xbox 360.

froggyboy604 said:
There is a type of ethernet powerline adapter device which connects to your router, or modem, and uses your home's copper power wiring via a electrical plug to connect your modem to your PC, and Xbox 360, but you would need three powerline adapters 1 for your modem/router, 1 for your PC, and 1 for your Xbox 360.
That's exactly the option I'm looking at, but I only need 2 adapters. You can get adapters that have 1, 2 or 3 ethernet sockets on. I'm getting two that have 2 sockets on. My PC and Xbox can go in to the same adapter as they sit right next to each other. I'm going to be getting the 500Mbps adapters so this should really solve my issue. The only thing is where I have my modem/hub will have quite a few plugs as that will require 3 plus I have a few other things in the living room going there too, but that's not a big issue.

Turns out that the master phone socket was actually the one in my bedroom and not the living room. Also turns out that the BT Home Hub 5 has a modem within it so there's only one device. So my setup remains the same with the Home Hub in my room and my PC and Xbox 360 plugged directly into it.

But now I have much faster internet. My average download speed going from 5Mbps to 75Mbps.

Now I have two spare Ethernet plugs that I didn't need to get. At least i'll have them spare if we find a use for them.

Back