Buggy?

WitchAssassin

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Username Style
Unlock full profile styling
Here is an article about consoles that come out that are buggy. 

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/06/business/la-fi-mo-ask-laz-xbox-bugs-20140120

My thoughts on it are this.  Why do the consoles come out buggy in the first place?  I would think that they would have all those things fixed by the time they released it.  However, I usually don't run out and buy the console right of the bat in the first place.  I wait to see if the console is going to provide enough games that I'm interested in before I choose to buy it and usually they have all the bugs fixed by then. 

If you stop and think for a moment as to why they could be so buggy, is because there is thousands and thousands lines of code that the makers have to look over to find any errors. When the consoles enter the home market, they are exposed to many different types of situations that the console most likely wasn't exposed to while in testing.

Things aren't as simple as they were in N64 days and before.

DS hit the nail on the head here.

Plus the fact that some bugs are just rare and that it could take testers decades to encounter the exact situation needed to produce a bug. But when you get a million people using the hardware... the odds that exact sequence of events occurring increase. 

But, for what it's worth, it's relatively stable all things considered. And they do provide patches for free to iron out bugs as they find/eliminate them. (So stability improves over time too.)

Though waiting for games is generally a good idea. See what games they have coming compared to what their competition has. 

Programming is extremely hard... One letter not capitalized or missing a character and you're screwed. Of course consoles will have some bugs in them during an initial release.

Demon_Skeith said:
And I only know is because I took some programming in school. I was losing my mind just trying to program a simple one page program, I don't even want to see a console's full code.
Yeah, but they have hundreds of programmers working on a single console. They should be able to at least reduce the number of bugs to a minimum, if not completely eliminate it.

Yeah, but they have hundreds of programmers working on a single console. They should be able to at least reduce the number of bugs to a minimum, if not completely eliminate it.
Not necessarily.

Sometimes adding more people to a project only increases the number of bugs/issues. And as project complexity increase the number of bugs/mistakes can also increase. 

The reality is that bugs/errors/glitches/problems will never truly be eliminated. Humans make errors and can't do things perfectly. We try, but we something always eludes us. (Often due to time pressures, cost or severity of the bug. For example it makes no sense to spend 4 weeks and 3 million dollars to fix something that maybe only causes a character's hair to change from black to brown in one scene...)

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised because that is the case with a lot of products, the entire company or developers job is to figure out bugs and fix them anyway. That's not a new thing, it has been for ages and the purpose is to correct it, hence, there is a bug list to be sorted. The problem is, software in any shape or form cannot be perfect.

Back