Buying new computer without new OS

ZandraJoi

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
This is in reference to the thread: Windows 10 dominant
Does anybody know of how to buy a new computer but NOT get Windows 11?
There's too many issues with it but my computer has been dying for awhile now but I've dragged my feet as I didn't care for the bad publicity of Windows 11.
I do know of some people who were into tech & use older versions but I don't know how easy that is to do.

Well if you build your own PC you can easily choose the OS you want.

Though if you game ( the latest games) on PC you will have to use win 11 anyway for the DirectX 12 Ultimate, or you could wait for win 12.

Last edited:
If you want to use an older OS you can try a virtual machine on a new computer.

If you look on Amazon or newegg, there should be some still sold with W10, but you're going to have to upgrade within 2 years, so might as well get it and deal with it.

Unless you're up for installing a linux flavor on your pc.

This is in reference to the thread: Windows 10 dominant
Does anybody know of how to buy a new computer but NOT get Windows 11?
There's too many issues with it but my computer has been dying for awhile now but I've dragged my feet as I didn't care for the bad publicity of Windows 11.
I do know of some people who were into tech & use older versions but I don't know how easy that is to do.
All Windows versions have bad publicity when they come out. People forgot how wildly hated Windows 10 was at release. Even the “best Windows ever” Windows 7 was also very much hated at release.

Windows 11 isn’t bad at all. Unlike Vista that failed for being too ahead of it’s time (to where low end computers barely functioned), and 8 where the drastic UI change scared people off, 11 functions perfectly fine. For the average person, only the Start Menu is different. 11’s privacy issues are all present in 10, and people straight up forgot 10 is guilty of it.

You could buy a Windows 11 computer and wipe the drive to install Windows 10, but Microsoft is ending support for it in 2025. So you’re only buying yourself 2 years to not upgrade.

Or you can wipe the drive to install Linux over it, but that entails learning how to use Linux on top of researching which distro to use.

In a few years, all new computers will be forced to have Windows 11 on it anyway, so your best bet is just roll with it.

Some smaller local computer stores sell computers without an operating system installed on the PC.

Building your own computer, or hiring someone to build a computer is a way to get a PC without an OS.

eBay sometimes have sellers which sell computers without an OS.

Some computers like the Intel NUC mini computer does not come with an OS, but you need to buy and install your own RAM and SSD storage drive onto the Intel NUC's motherboard.

Back