Can food from discount stores like the Dollar Store keep you healthy enough to survive?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think if you stick to canned beans, vegetables, and whole wheat bread from the dollar store, Wal-Mart, and other discount store, it can be healthy where you are not starving because you can't afford food from more expensive stores which sell food for higher prices.

issue with that though is, you will never feel full.

issue with that though is, you will never feel full.

The canned meat and fish, and rice and noodles may help discount and dollar store food buyers stay full.

But, buyers maybe spending more money by buying many small $1 bags of food, and not buying their food in bulk at Costco where you buy food in large amounts like a huge bags like a very large bag of frozen meat. Some regular stores have coupons, and reward cards which give buyer gift certificates/cards once they spend about $100, so if you know how to use coupons, and have reward cards it may cost less to buy food from stores which have a lot of coupons, and rewards.

For a few months yes. Beyond that, I highly doubt they can do much.
They don't have enough nutrients to keep us going and not to mention that, eating canned food is never a good idea.
So, nope.

I think some discount store and dollar store food like cereal, rice, pasta, bread, whole wheat cookies , real fruit and vegetable juice and food in a glass jar like tomato sauce, honey and pickles may offer enough nutrients to keep people healthy for many years.

But, it would be a good idea to eat fresh or frozen vegetables as well.

I notice most of the food brands at dollar stores and discount stores are the same brands as regular grocery stores, but the food at $1 and discount stores sometimes come in smaller packages to keep the price more affordable.

The expiry date for fresh food like bread maybe closer than bread from a bakery, so it is a good idea to eat the bread before the expiry date has past.

I notice most of the food brands at dollar stores and discount stores are the same brands as regular grocery stores, but the food at $1 and discount stores sometimes come in smaller packages to keep the price more affordable.

The expiry date for fresh food like bread maybe closer than bread from a bakery, so it is a good idea to eat the bread before the expiry date has past.
Many product is short expiration date in all store.

Many product is short expiration date in all store.

This is true food expiration date is short.

I think sometimes the workers at discount and dollar stores don't always put the food on the food shelf as quickly after the food has arrive to the store, so the food being sold is closer to the expiration date. Discount and dollar stores sell a lot of stuff like tools, office supplies, and food, and dollar stores usually have only a few workers, so it can take longer for the workers to put food with a shorter expiration date like bread on the shelf, so the food like bread being sold is closer to the expiration date.

This is true food expiration date is short.

I think sometimes the workers at discount and dollar stores don't always put the food on the food shelf as quickly after the food has arrive to the store, so the food being sold is closer to the expiration date. Discount and dollar stores sell a lot of stuff like tools, office supplies, and food, and dollar stores usually have only a few workers, so it can take longer for the workers to put food with a shorter expiration date like bread on the shelf, so the food like bread being sold is closer to the expiration date.
I always notice fresh in all store.
If it is not fresh, everyone want no purchase.

I always notice fresh in all store.
If it is not fresh, everyone want no purchase.

Some stores in North America sell cheaper food like bread which is closer to the expiry date. The food is still safe to eat and not spoiled. But, buyers need to eat the food quickly in the next few days, or the same day when the food was purchased before it reaches the expiry date.

I think a lot of food are safe to eat after the expiry date except for meat and fish which may become rotten faster if it is not frozen.

Back